• Page:

TOPIC:

Key / Ignition Problem 08 Apr 2006 18:01 #37914

• Gr_Lantern
  • Gr_Lantern's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone,

I've had my 1982 KZ-550 for about three weeks now. I've had it running fine, and everything was great. Then I made the mistake of turning the key to the "Lock" position. Up until then I'd only had it OFF or ON.

Well, now that I've locked the steering (witht he bars turned to the left) I can remove the key, but I cannot fully UNLOCK it. If I put the key back in and push and turn as instructed, it turns about half way to the "OFF" position, and the bars unlock. But the key will not turn all the way to OFF, ON, or PARK. My only positions now are "LOCK" or halfway between LOCK and OFF.

I was thinking that maybe the Key was worn, so I had a new one cut to factory specs. I still have the same problem. Both keys work fine in the seat lock, the helmet lock, the gas tank, and can unlock the steering, but I cannot get further than half way to OFF.

I've tried graphite to lubricate the lock, I've tried it with the steering turned to the left, the right, wiggling the bars.. no good. I've tried wiggling the key, pushing on the key, but I don't want to break it off so I haven't gotten out the vice grips yet :)

Any suggestions? or am I looking at EBAY for a new ignition lock?

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Key / Ignition Problem 08 Apr 2006 18:29 #37921

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome to KZR. Nice looking bike!

Try spraying WD40 or another type of penetrating oil into the Ign. keyhole. It may free something up.

I would try turning the key back towards ON etc, while wobbling the key forward and back and in and out. Kind of like you've been doing. Just be careful not to bend the key.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Key / Ignition Problem 14 Apr 2006 00:46 #39404

• Gr_Lantern
  • Gr_Lantern's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Rstnick,

I tried everything, compressed air, WD 40, a whole lot of wiggling, Finally I gave up and pulled the ignition off the bike. I took it to a locksmith, and we took it apart, turns out one of the tumblers inside snapped and was keeping the key from turning.

I've ordered a new one off E-Bay , reasonable price, around $30 for the whole assembly.

What are the chances the new one I get will use the same key as the rest of my bike B)

Looks like i'll be a two key man. one for the ignition, and one for everything else... but at least my ignition will work :)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Key / Ignition Problem 14 Apr 2006 01:36 #39405

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
your locksmith can key it to match. well at least mine can ;) :whistle:
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Key / Ignition Problem 14 Apr 2006 07:40 #39470

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Hey Rob, how hard is it to change the lock to match a key?

GR, I love that bike especially the color!

Key / Ignition Problem 14 Apr 2006 08:31 #39479

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
To match the key, you need the proper tumblers. Some of the old tumblers may be used if their not all broken. Or may be lucky the tumblers just need rearranging to match the key. Also, some could be left out.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: