82 KZ750 R1 Starter Clicks

More
19 Jun 2010 14:20 #376828 by nicksorg
82 KZ750 R1 Starter Clicks was created by nicksorg
I swapped in a wiring harness on my 82 GPz750. All electrical is hooked up and operational, but when I press the starter button the solenoid clicks. I've searched old posts on this problem and here's where I am now:

- new battery that is charged. Voltage is 13+ with key off.
- lights and gauges dim when the solenoid clicks.
- with key on, I put pliers across the poles of the solenoid. big sparks, but no start.
- disconnected the starter wire from the negative side of the solenoid and touched it to the negative side of the battery and it moved the starter.
- cleaned the wires at the solenoid and the engine ground wire.

Thoughts and recommendations welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000-K2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2010 15:17 #376837 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 82 KZ750 R1 Starter Clicks
I'd suggestpulling the starter motor and check the brushes and commutator. Both could be worn and need cleaning up.

If the motor looks good inside,then the problem is either the solenoid(sometimes called the starter relay) or the related heavy gauge wire(cable).

Try these two websites for rebuild parts:

A. www.mawonline.com/newsite/rick_s_motorsp...-starter_brushes.htm

B. www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street_star...kits/startmtrkit.htm (not sure if the website is still viable)

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Jun 2010 15:30 #376843 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82 KZ750 R1 Starter Clicks
nicksorg wrote:

...disconnected the starter wire from the negative side of the solenoid and touched it to the negative side of the battery and it moved the starter.....

If this means the starter functions normally when the solenoid is bypassed with starter connected directly to the battery terminals, would then suspect a defective solenoid.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
19 Jun 2010 15:30 #376844 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 82 KZ750 R1 Starter Clicks
Another thought:
Open up the right handlebar switch pod and check for dirty electrical contacts/broken wire/broken solder joint.

To see if the solenoid works, disconnect the cable going to the starter motor, turn on the key,pull in the clutch lever(some bikes have a safety interlock) and listen if the starter motor solenoid clicks.

If it does not, maybe the wiring to the solenoid is bad or the starter coil is bad. Check for voltage at the solenoid coil too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Jun 2010 16:03 #376854 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82 KZ750 R1 Starter Clicks
If needed, here's link to location where wiring diagram may be downloaded.

Click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...w&gid=186&Itemid=108

Here's an excerpt.

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
30 Jun 2010 18:57 #379333 by nicksorg
Replied by nicksorg on topic 82 KZ750 R1 Starter Clicks
Patton,
Thanks for the wiring diagram. I installed a solenoid I picked up from ebay and had the same clicking problem. I reviewed the diagram and realized my wiring wasn't correct. For some reason, there was a ground wire from the starter pole of the solenoid to the battery. I'm guessing the PO ran it since the solenoid on the bike when I got it was from a Suzuki. I removed the ground wire and now the starter spins.

I should be done shortly with the carb clean/rebuild. Can't wait to hear it run (hopefully).
Nick

1982 Kawasaki KZ1000-K2