Oil light on when clutch engaged

More
19 Jun 2010 14:47 #376830 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Oil light on when clutch engaged
Maltraxxx wrote:

Oil level is fine if not a bit high, but it wouldnt explain my problem. I rode the bike only twice 5 km since I own it... I didnt notice if it did that the first time.

I dont understand how that could possible: low oil pressure when idling? Euh....!?!?!

The oil pump is geared to the crankshaft. So when you apply the throttle the pump works harder and drives more oil around. I'd be curious about the state of your pump and pickup screen etc.

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2010 14:59 #376833 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil light on when clutch engaged
1984 ZN1100

Another question --- If "clutch lever is squeezed" and "throttle is released" simultaneously, does oil light turn on?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
19 Jun 2010 15:23 #376840 by Patton
More questions ---

When ignition switch is turned ON before the bike is cranked, does the oil light come on (as it's supposed to)?

With bike idling in neutral, is oil light ON?

With bike idling in neutral, does blipping the throttle have any effect on the oil light coming on?

With bike engine running at 4000 rpm in neutral, is the oil light on? If the throttle is closed so bike returns to idle rpm, does the oil light come on?

What happens to oil light if rpm in neutral is reduced from 4000 rpm to 3000 rpm? Or 2000 rpm?

Can the reported phenomenon be reproduced with engine running and transmission in neutral?

Am trying to determine if the reported condition is purely throttle related, or if force of deceleration has anything to do with it.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jun 2010 19:06 - 19 Jun 2010 19:24 #376896 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Oil light on when clutch engaged
You need to hook up a gauge so you can find out the "Real" oil pressure. The switch could have a weak spring or worn internals, if it grounds out it should turn on the light, below 6psi I think. A thicker oil viscosity may help, or a new switch, check it with a gauge.
Also the oil pressure relief valve could have a weak or collapsed spring, its in the filter banjo bolt on my bikes.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 19 Jun 2010 19:24 by Motor Head. Reason: more info

More
20 Jun 2010 08:38 #377011 by Maltraxxx
Replied by Maltraxxx on topic Oil light on when clutch engaged
I'll perform a few tests this pm.

I have an oil temp gauge installed on this bike (installed by the previous owner).

Could this unit give me hints on anything regarding this issue?

If oil pressure is low, temperature should increase, no?

More
20 Jun 2010 09:54 #377022 by Maltraxxx
Replied by Maltraxxx on topic Oil light on when clutch engaged
I did al the tests Patton talked about. The light was on when I turned the key, as it should be.

And it never turned on after that. On neutral, in gears, with clutch, without clutch, idling or at 4 000RPM.

This would probably mean the light turns on only when riding - when engine is hot - and that the engine is idling at a red light or whenever I stop...

More
20 Jun 2010 10:10 #377031 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Oil light on when clutch engaged
Samwell wrote:

Maltraxxx wrote:

Oil level is fine if not a bit high, but it wouldnt explain my problem. I rode the bike only twice 5 km since I own it... I didnt notice if it did that the first time.

I dont understand how that could possible: low oil pressure when idling? Euh....!?!?!

The oil pump is geared to the crankshaft. So when you apply the throttle the pump works harder and drives more oil around. I'd be curious about the state of your pump and pickup screen etc.

what he said,but first id screw a gauge on to the motor before tearing things apart to make sure B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
20 Jun 2010 10:26 #377038 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Oil light on when clutch engaged
Maltraxxx wrote:

I'll perform a few tests this pm.

I have an oil temp gauge installed on this bike (installed by the previous owner).

Could this unit give me hints on anything regarding this issue?

If oil pressure is low, temperature should increase, no?

All the temp gauge will tell you is ... well ... temp.

More
20 Jun 2010 10:47 #377041 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Oil light on when clutch engaged
Couldn't find a wiring diagram for your bike but maybe the same principles as the KZ900/1000 series....

The oil sending units are basically a mechanical spring activated switch to engine case ground... With oil pressure within spec, no indicator light... If pressures are below spec, this sending unit will p[ass ground to the indicator oil lamp.

With this in mind, you could do the following for testing....

With an air fan on the engine, start the engine and warm up to operation temps... With ignition switched turned to on position, the indicator lamp should turn on due to no pressure build up yet. Start the engine and the lamp should turn off within a couple of seconds thus indicating pressure build up that deactivates the sending unit switch...

Remove the harness conductor clip off the top of the oil sending unit and place a DVM for continuity confirmations of switch activation...

DVM black on engine or battery ground...
DVM red on sensor top post...
Set meter for resistance measurements.

If operating correctly, you should have infinite (open) resistance measurements on a running engine...

You could also use a oil pressure gauge to insure oil pump is generating the specified pressures. Anyone know what the oil pressure specs are for this model?

You could do the same in a bypassed testing configuration... Wire a 12Vdc lamp to the battery or switched 12V line.... Wire the other pin of the 12V lamp to the top of the oil sending unit....

Take her for a ride... Lamp operate to spec... If so, problem definitely in your wiring harness, instrument cluster, head light shell etc....

Just some ideas....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
20 Jun 2010 11:59 - 20 Jun 2010 12:03 #377064 by Patton
I concur with OMR.

With zero oil pressure (or too low pressure), the oil pressure switch is supposedly closed, allowing continuity to ground.

With ignition switch ON, the oil light should shine only when its wire is grounding through the pressure switch.

With sufficient oil pressure, the oil pressure switch is supposedly open, disallowing continuity to ground.

Perhaps the wire from indicator light is somehow grounding before it reaches the pressure switch. Such as a bare spot in the wire that touches something when the bike is being ridden.

Could experiment by disconnecting wire at oil pressure switch (to prevent grounding through the switch).
Tape off the wire end to keep it from flailing around.
Absent ground, the oil light won't shine.

Test ride in effort to replicate the symptoms.
If oil light shines, the wire is reaching ground when it's not supposed to (i.e., improperly grounding somewhere besides through the pressure switch).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 Jun 2010 12:03 by Patton.