20 amp main fuse hot

• irish mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz 650 b3 rat rod
More
06 Jun 2010 12:36 #373916 by irish mike
20 amp main fuse hot was created by irish mike
hi all recently had trouble blowing my 20 amp main fuse i think i found the problem [some badly routed wires going to the starter -frayed-] now bike runs and does everything it should except when i was going to take her for a test ride i said i would check the fuse and boy was it hot just from the bike idleing for a few minutes so i declined the test drive and came in to see if i could pick your brains-i went through the whole harness and all seems to be well except the frayed starter wire which i replaced-any ideas?could it have to do with the headlight?thanks mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2010 13:12 #373922 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 20 amp main fuse hot
If not already done, would assure integrity of connections at each end of fuse, as these sometimes get corroded and fail to make a good clean connection.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Jun 2010 16:33 #373967 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 20 amp main fuse hot
A Dremmel tool with a small brush will clean corrosion from the fuse clips. Follow up with some metal polish on a cotton swab.Corrosion causes electrical resistance and heat, sometimes melting wiring and/or fuse holders.

The clips are copper and will corrode if not kept clean.I use a brand of contact cleaner/preservative called "De-oxit" on my clips with no problems. www.deoxit.com is their website.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
06 Jun 2010 18:36 #373992 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic 20 amp main fuse hot
:S I was riding down a great twisty curvie road out by the Daniel Boon home today when my bike just shut down... Nothing ... It just quit. :ohmy: I pulled the clutch and managed to get into the gravel just before a panel truck came up my ass. After getting off to the side I immediately knew it was my main fuse. I quickly popped the side panel and fuse cover plate and had the fuse changed in no time at all. Why so prepared do you ask? Because this has happened to me at least five times now in the last two years. It has also happened to every one of the KZ guys I ride with that haven't upgraded their fuse boxes on the bike. The cheap fuses get hot and the solder in them melts and you can't see it's a bad fuse. I have a dozen 20 amp fuses with me and a variety of other sizes too. I don't even check them any more, I just replace them and keep going.:woohoo: Don't leave home without them.

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

More
06 Jun 2010 18:58 #373997 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 20 amp main fuse hot
get a clamp on amp meter and start checking wires on circuit to see whats drawing juice B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
06 Jun 2010 19:05 #374000 by dblhdr
Replied by dblhdr on topic 20 amp main fuse hot
:blush: Heck mine is a former Cop bike, and has more loose wires on it than good ones I think ... It would take a complete overhaul of the wireing harness to fix my problems I'm just glad it keeps running as well as it does.

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

More
07 Jun 2010 05:21 #374051 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 20 amp main fuse hot
Save your self some future headaches....

Cut the existing fuse holder conductors back a couple inches or more....

Install (Splice, solder, heatshrink terminations) 3 inline fuse holders and install 20amp and 10 amp fuses... ;)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments: