Which Dyna coils are best!!

More
05 Jun 2010 05:06 #373599 by lrburke
Which Dyna coils are best!! was created by lrburke
Hey Guys, I need to know which Dyna coils are correct for a 1981 KZ750H2. The bike has factory electronic ignition and the OEM coils are reading about 2.4 ohms on the primary side but the Factory Kawasaki manual says a range of 1.8 to 2.8. I was thinking the Gray 2.2 ohm coils. Is this correct? Thanks again as usual!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2010 05:36 - 05 Jun 2010 05:37 #373602 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Which Dyna coils are best!!
lrburke wrote:

Hey Guys, I need to know which Dyna coils are correct for a 1981 KZ750H2. The bike has factory electronic ignition and the OEM coils are reading about 2.4 ohms on the primary side but the Factory Kawasaki manual says a range of 1.8 to 2.8. I was thinking the Gray 2.2 ohm coils. Is this correct? Thanks again as usual!!!

The gray 2.2 ohm coils should be okay.

With primary coil ohm check being within specs, am wondering about secondary loop, and need for new coils.

:unsure: Is this a situation where oem coils have plug wires permanently affixed and the old wires have deteriorated, such as hardened, cracked and leaking?

Sometimes, an option might be plug wire splicers with new wires on the existing coils where coils remain in good condition.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 05 Jun 2010 05:37 by Patton.

More
05 Jun 2010 06:57 #373611 by lrburke
Replied by lrburke on topic Which Dyna coils are best!!
Thanks for the response! I am actually working on this bike for a friend and he said to go ahead and replace the 30 year old coils. Both of the OEM coils have this black goo seeping out of them around where the phillips head mounting bolts are. It really looks like they have been getting extremely hot and the charging system is right where it should be! I have already replaced the plug wires with Dyna copper core but now he wants to replace the coils. Larry