kz 650 died

• irish mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz 650 b3 rat rod
More
31 May 2010 20:19 #372498 by irish mike
kz 650 died was created by irish mike
hi all i just installed my new dyna ignition systym and took the beast out for a ride -i made it about 6 miles when it died -the 20 amp main fuse was toast-this had happened to me about a month ago before the addition of the dyna so i dont think its related but you never know -i just replaced the fuse the last time and it ran ok untill now-seems like it keeps getting juice untill the bike stops at a light for instance and then on take off when i give it gas "wham" it blows the fuse-i had two spares on the bike -used up both of them on the way home -when the last one blew i was about 1 mile from home and some kind soul gave me a ride to pep boys to pick up another fuse but this time the fuse did not fix the problem -bike was dead -pushed it for a mile-the bike is on a charger now -battery completly dead-i did notice that the headlight was kinda dim latly but just thought it was from the bike sitting for a while as i was working on it-i will go through the trouble shooting procedure but if any body has any specific ideas i would much appreciate the imput -is the voltage regulator a good suspect...?like i said the bike idlded fine and drove fine but when accelorating from a stop "fuse toast and a black wire end....thanks all ...mike...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2010 05:27 #372550 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic kz 650 died
On my 650 the wires were run thru the bras from the factory, the wires chaffe inside and will start shorting out on the bars themself, and cause the main fuse to blow, once I removed the harness and repaired the wires I have not blown a fuse since.
not sure what year your working on but might be a place to look at if yours is done that way

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
01 Jun 2010 06:18 #372556 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic kz 650 died
You gotta go through that harness bro! Somewhere you've got one (or more) bad spots of wire or bad connections. Pull the wires out of the bars as suggested (if you've still got stock bars with wiring inside them) and also pay close attention to the headlight bucket area. Check through the harness before suspecting charging system parts. And I hate to say it, but you might just have cooked your Dyna, they don't like voltage spikes very much.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

• irish mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 79 kz 650 b3 rat rod
More
01 Jun 2010 19:55 #372714 by irish mike
Replied by irish mike on topic kz 650 died
think i found one of the gremlins-the wires that go from the voltreg to the starter seem to have been routed badly and the male female connector thingamajig was being rubbed slightly by the chain-well at least its a start ,im just happy the lights work again-i should be able to pull a kz apart and put back togeather no probs when im done with this project-live and learn and try to smile while doing it thanks all mike