bike stalls when battery runs dead

• tilldeathtattoos
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2010 21:56 #372230 by tilldeathtattoos
bike stalls when battery runs dead was created by tilldeathtattoos
[img}Ijust bought 1980 kz 550 that had been in the elements for two years i rebult carbs and gave tune up instaled new battery ran fine took for ride and bike stalled after couple hours check bike over and found battery dead recharged batt started fine to test bike took pos cable off batt and bike staled bike seems to be running only on batt life please help what should i do next.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2010 22:03 #372231 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic bike stalls when battery runs dead
Several things may be going on:

1.The alternator may be putting out low voltage.

2.The regulator/rectifier may have failed(this converts the alternator output of alternating current to direct current running the bikes electrical system and charging the battery).

I made this up for the bigger 4's, but it might apply to your bike.

Alternator Testing For the Older 4’s(Z1’s,Kz 900’s, Kz1000’s,Kz1100’s and GPz1100’s).

To check to see if the alternator is working you need to follow these simple steps:

1. Fully charge the battery as this will be the power source during this test.

2. Disconnect the Regulator/Rectifier at the plug that has the six wires in it.

3. Start the engine and let it warm to operating temperature.

4. If you're worried about overheating, position a large fan for cooling the engine.

5. After the engine has reached operating temperature, have a helper assist you, and using a multi-meter, read the output at the three yellow wires (or the alternator output wires)at the disconnected connector.

6. Raise the engine speed to 4000 rpm, and see what the three YELLOW wire combinations(or any alternator output wires) are(1-3,2-3 & 1-2). The output will be around 50 Volts A.C.(Alternating Current). BE CAREFUL, AS THERE IS A SHOCK HAZARD HERE!!

7. If any of the combinations are low or non-existent, the stator(wire windings) are bad and must be replaced.
Some of the older Z1’s and KZ900’s were phase sensitive, so check the wire colors carefully.

8. Using an OHMETER, Check the three wire combinations again, looking for a reading of 0.36 - 0.54 OHMS. If the readings are above or below, the stator may be bad and need replacement. Also check from any of the three YELLOW wires to ground, this will show if arcing took place.

9. Before ordering a new stator, check the connections from the stator as there are electrical "Bullet" connectors that may be damaged or dirty.
Inspect the wiring for signs of shorting or overheating too. www.z1enterprises.com sells replacement rubber grommets for the alternator output wiring, they get hard and could leak oil after a while.

10. Check the wiring coming out of the grommet as there have been situations where the wires were damaged causing a short(I.E. twisted together with insulation damage).

11. The sprocket cover will have to be removed to access the electrical connectors coming from the alternator, the left foot peg assembly and shifting lever will have to come off also.

www.electrosport.com has a troubleshooting page that should help.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
31 May 2010 10:11 #372300 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic bike stalls when battery runs dead
tilldeathtattoos wrote:

... took pos cable off batt and bike staled bike seems to be running only on batt life please help what should i do next...

I'm fairly sure the bike needs the battery connected to run right. However, you may have a charging issue.

Did you charge the battery prior to installation?
Check the battery. It's possible that the new battery is bad.