no spark

More
20 May 2010 20:23 #369427 by b.tracy79kz
no spark was created by b.tracy79kz
i had my 79 kz1000 over in a friends garage,for winter.when i took it over i had spark,now no spark.also i took off two spark plug wires off right side coils forgot where the wires went on coils.stupid,any help thankful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2010 20:46 #369437 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic no spark
Probablt too much information here, but keep it for future reference:

Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) got to #1 and #4 sparkplugs.

The cylinders are numbered left to right as you sit on the seat; #1,#2,#3, and #4.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms.

Keep in mind that the smaller 4’s (650 & 750) may have the wiring reversed, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 May 2010 21:12 #369441 by b.tracy79kz
Replied by b.tracy79kz on topic no spark
thank you

More
20 May 2010 21:20 - 20 May 2010 21:24 #369444 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic no spark
b.tracy79kz wrote:

i had my 79 kz1000 over in a friends garage,for winter.when i took it over i had spark,now no spark.also i took off two spark plug wires off right side coils forgot where the wires went on coils.stupid,any help thankful.

From right side coil, one spark plug wire attaches to #2 plug, and the other spark plug wire attaches to #3 plug. Either inside plug wire may connect to either right side coil output.

From left side coil, one spark plug wire attaches to #1 plug, and the other spark plug wire attaches to #4 plug. Either outside plug wire may connect to either left side coil output.

In other words, the right side coil fires the two inside spark plugs. And the left side coil fires the two outside spark plugs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 May 2010 21:24 by Patton.

More
21 May 2010 10:15 #369549 by b.tracy79kz
Replied by b.tracy79kz on topic no spark
thanks guys ,the wire i was trying to check spark on wasn't on coil good.i dont like how the dayn coils,dont have mush room for wires