Blown main fuse

More
20 May 2010 18:17 #369408 by Nats82
Blown main fuse was created by Nats82
Hi Forum
I've been going through some old threads on blowing fuses.
I have a 1982 kz 550. Just recently I've noticed the main fuse(20A) is very hot to the touch when the bike is running. I've had 2 blown fuses in a short perod of time. I also have noticed with the headlight unplugged,it's fine, as soon as it is plugged in, the fuse heats up very quick.So now I'm begining to dig around the inside where the headlight is, anyone with a similar problem? Of all things, Electrical!!!! I just love it! can anyone detect any sarcasim?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2010 19:41 #369420 by anyday
Replied by anyday on topic Blown main fuse
One thing I'd try would be to look for any nicked or split wires. Under the seat and in the headlight bucket. If you don't find any, you might want to check your fuse block connections. If they have any corrosion at all, they'll heat up and possibly blow or de-solder your fuses. I had a similar problem w/ my kz1000 and I ended up replacing my fuse block w/ one that takes spade fuses - easier to find and they don't de-solder.

1981 KZ 1000-k, 1982 GS300L-D, 1982 GS300L-Z (parts)

Sioux City, IA

More
20 May 2010 19:49 #369424 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Blown main fuse
The hot part is the clue. A short will blow a fuse, bad connections at the fuse will cause it to heat up and obviously the more current drawn the hotter the fuse will get. I had this problem with just about ever old KZ I've ever owned. The fuse clips tarnish causing a less than desirable contact with the fuse=heat= frequent fuse failure. Sometimes you can polish up the clips nice and shiney with a q-tip and metal polish will do the trick. Other guys have upgraded to a more modern blade type fuse block setup. I don't like to modify, so last this happened to me first I polished the clips but still the fuse was hot, so I got a couple zipties and tightened them securely around the fuse/clips. This has worked great so far for 1 yr.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
21 May 2010 03:21 #369469 by Nats82
Replied by Nats82 on topic Blown main fuse
Thanks Forum
I did clean all connections,checked wiring etc, maybe quite not enough. Great advice thanks again!

More
21 May 2010 10:23 #369552 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Blown main fuse
Did somebody install a higher then stock power headlight?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 May 2010 19:39 #369684 by Nats82
I don't think so bountyhunter what is currently in there now is a 12v60/55w same bulb that was there when I got the bike. Both high and low work, just can't figure out why the damn fuse is getting so hot. I've blown 2 fuses in a 100 miles, 2 2 many! Right now I'm still in the wiring and connection game, The beat goes on!

More
24 May 2010 12:24 #370507 by marcusthered6
Replied by marcusthered6 on topic Blown main fuse
I was having a simular problem with my KZ1000 E1 Shaft. I had a intermitent short under the seat that was causing the fuse to heat and blow. I ended up replacing the wiring harness with the one from my parts bike ( identical year and model). This fixed the problem for me. The old harness I removed had about a dozen places were the harness had been patched.

More
25 May 2010 19:32 #370927 by Nats82
Thanks Marcus
I went through ALL the wiring, connections etc... I recleaned everything. The fuse went from Hot! to just a wee bit warm, if that. So far everything has been ok, knock on wood. From all the threads I've read, seems like going to the blade type fuses is the way to go, that's going to be my next project. Thanks again for the input.