Funny Story....or maybe not...but weird!!!

More
19 May 2010 14:15 #369057 by Fozzie
So today I got pulled over after a stop sign. As I pulled off to the side of the road, I tried to think what it could be, I stopped, even signaled b/c I knew the man was back there.Took my time and pulled off. Well the officer told me my brake light was out. I swore it was working the last time I rode it so he let me go, pretty nice guy about it. So I stepped around to the back and noticed the lens had a blackish tint.I tapped it, and it was full of these little bugs that looked like crawfish, the ones you find under your doormat only withouth the pinchers. I think theyre called silverfish? Anyway, how in the world do you think they got in there? I cant figure it out.

1982 KZ1000J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
19 May 2010 14:22 #369058 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Funny Story....or maybe not...but weird!!!
U ran by 2 of them,sucked them up under the rear fender,they migrated thru the wiring into the lite housing,scre--- themselves silly, and voila--a silverfish swarm.Lol.Damned if I know but makes a good story.BJ

More
19 May 2010 15:25 #369062 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Funny Story....or maybe not...but weird!!!
Bugs have gotten into the handle bar switches on bikes, and I had to take my speedometer apart several years ago due to ants invading it(never did figure out why,no food,or sweets).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
19 May 2010 17:23 #369098 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Funny Story....or maybe not...but weird!!!
when I bought the pieces of my bike 2 years ago,it had been in a shed in South Carolina for 20 years.The South Carolina dirt dobbers had built homes in every imaginable part of the engine using red South Carolina clay.Took me weeks to get all those nests washed out of the cooling fins.lol.bj

More
19 May 2010 18:09 - 19 May 2010 18:10 #369115 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Funny Story....or maybe not...but weird!!!
Well, this is bike related only because I was driving my old Dart car to the shop once to get some bike parts. Came to a red light, looked in the back seat, and there's a big old fat rattlesnake sleeping there!! I calmly pulled over to the curb and got the &#@% out of there! Got him out with a tree branch, a looooong tree branch!

Then about two years ago I found a little green snake sleeping on my KZ's engine cover under the carbs. He was a bit easier to deal with.
Last edit: 19 May 2010 18:10 by polkat.

More
19 May 2010 19:00 #369129 by Fozzie
Replied by Fozzie on topic Funny Story....or maybe not...but weird!!!
:lol: glad to hear I'm not the only rider with critter problems. They got in there pretty fast, I took the lens off and shook em out, we'll see in the morning if they've recouped and stormed the bike.

1982 KZ1000J

More
19 May 2010 23:41 #369176 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Funny Story....or maybe not...but weird!!!
Sounds like earwigs. They tend to cluster in groups like that.

Attachments:

More
20 May 2010 10:45 #369266 by N0NB
So I'm guessing the bulb was working but the bug hive was blocking the light? Interesting.

Speaking of critters, I wonder where barn Swallows built their nests before humans came along building barns?

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
20 May 2010 11:40 #369284 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Funny Story....or maybe not...but weird!!!
Is there a crack or hole in your tail light lens, or a missing mounting bolt?
Just wondering how they got in your tail light.
We get earwigs in my area, and in all the years I had a bike outdoors, I never had any take up residence in a bike I've owned.

I did get a Spider in the speedo once though. I thought the needle would scare it out, but the Spider's web stopped the needle from going high enough.
Had to diassemble the speedo to get it out.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
20 May 2010 20:27 #369429 by Fozzie
Replied by Fozzie on topic Funny Story....or maybe not...but weird!!!
Earwigs...yep thats the bug. I'm not missing any hardware an no cracks in the lens. I checked this morning before my trip to work and there were a few but no a swarm like the other day. Next I'll be going down the road and a copperhead will poke his head out right between the gauges, but thats worse case lol.

1982 KZ1000J