Newb Question = Easy Answer

More
19 May 2010 19:52 #369141 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Newb Question = Easy Answer
Per FSM: [KZ900]...is equipped with the brake lamp failure indicator lamp which indicates whether or not the brake lamp is functioning properly. Brake lamp failure may be due to a burned out bulb or to some other failure in the brake lamp circuit (such a broken wire or loose connection.).

If interpreting correctly, FSM goes on to say that while riding along without brakes being applied, the indicator light should normally be off, but it will flash to indicate the brake light bulb is burned out (still without brakes being applied). So if you see the indicator light flashing while you are riding along without brakes being applied, it is warning that the brake light bulb will not burn when you do apply the brakes (i.e., the brake light bulb filament is burned out). And when brakes are applied, the indicator light should be steady on regardless of brake light bulb condition.

Here's the test with engine off to determine whether the brake light failure indicator switch is functioning properly --

Turn ignition switch on (indicator lamp should stay off). Apply brakes (indicator light should turn on). With brake still applied, remove the tail light bulb (indicator light should stay lit). With tail light bulb still out of the socket, release the brake (indicator light should flash). These results indicate that the brake light failure indicator switch is functioning properly. [Am thinking the same test could be performed by disconnecting the brake light wire where it connects to the wire from the harness, instead of removing the rear bulb.]

Where the indicator lamp blinks when not braking at all, is likely a burned out brake light filament in the taillight bulb.

However, (continuing to blink while holding steady pressure applying the brakes) could indicate a malfunction of the brake light failure indicator switch located under the tank on KZ900 (three wires, being yellow, black and green/white), plugged into a 3-wire connector (same colors) from the wiring harness.

Am guessing the low fuel switch is wired through the same indicator lamp.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2010 07:50 - 20 May 2010 07:54 #369221 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Newb Question = Easy Answer
Maybe someone already answered after the 3rd or 4th reply...

The Fuel Stop Lamp is a Low Fuel Warning light & Brake Light Failure Indicator light & has several functions: primarily, it lights when you apply the brakes and it lights when the fuel level is low.

Also, it detects a problem w the brake light circuit or brake light failure. If the brake light is not functioning properly, the Fuel Stop Lamp indicator lite will still go on when you apply the brakes; however, when neither brake is being applied, the indicator lite will flash on/off indicating that the brake light circuit or brake light itself is faulty.

If the Fuel Stop Lamp indicator lite does not come on when a brake is applied, one of the brake switches, the indicator lite switch, or the indicator lite itself is not functioning properly (bad bulb maybe?), or the ground circuit is interupted.

(when reading the above, keep in mind that the Brake Light is the thing that the cars behind you see. The indicator lite is the lamp on the meter).
Last edit: 20 May 2010 07:54 by JMKZHI.

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
20 May 2010 13:50 #369331 by xLowEndx
Replied by xLowEndx on topic Newb Question = Easy Answer
JMKZHI wrote:

Maybe someone already answered after the 3rd or 4th reply...

The Fuel Stop Lamp is a Low Fuel Warning light & Brake Light Failure Indicator light & has several functions: primarily, it lights when you apply the brakes and it lights when the fuel level is low.

Also, it detects a problem w the brake light circuit or brake light failure. If the brake light is not functioning properly, the Fuel Stop Lamp indicator lite will still go on when you apply the brakes; however, when neither brake is being applied, the indicator lite will flash on/off indicating that the brake light circuit or brake light itself is faulty.

If the Fuel Stop Lamp indicator lite does not come on when a brake is applied, one of the brake switches, the indicator lite switch, or the indicator lite itself is not functioning properly (bad bulb maybe?), or the ground circuit is interupted.

(when reading the above, keep in mind that the Brake Light is the thing that the cars behind you see. The indicator lite is the lamp on the meter).

Awesome answer!!!!

Thats what I was looking for and makes sense. Good news is everything is working properly then, the light is not flashing and only comes on when I apply the breaks and when I have about a gallon of gas left.

Thanks everyone :)

1980 Kawasaki KZ750-H1 LTD

More
20 May 2010 13:55 #369334 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Newb Question = Easy Answer
Do you have the owner's manual for the bike? That & other helpful info is contained within its pages.

Just in case... it may be located in a pull-down document holder on the underside of the seat.

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
20 May 2010 16:18 #369367 by xLowEndx
I was told I didn't have one from the previous owner so never really looked. I'll have to double check there but I didn't see one so I bought one off eBay. I hope I don't have one there now, there's 36 bucks down the drain.

• xLowEndx
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Slappa da bass
More
20 May 2010 18:53 #369411 by xLowEndx
xLowEndx wrote:

I was told I didn't have one from the previous owner so never really looked. I'll have to double check there but I didn't see one so I bought one off eBay. I hope I don't have one there now, there's 36 bucks down the drain.

UPDATE: Not there, glad i have one on the way.