Help! No spark!!

More
18 May 2010 22:22 #368934 by shea
Help! No spark!! was created by shea
Hello everyone. I'm in need of help. Just picked up a 81 kz750 for $150. It's in bad need of some wiring help tho. This is my second 750. First was a 82 twin tho. Anyhow I got the bike home and messed with it untill I was able to get it to turn over using the starter button. I pulled the plugs and ground them to the head to check for spark and I'm not getting any. The spark plugs looked like they had never been used but had been on the bike awhile guessing by the rust, also the coils and wires don't look stock. There yellow. Anyhow I have checked all connections and made sure there tight (haven't really given them much of a cleaning tho) and I got out the multimeter and got 11.8 volts at the battery and at the connections to the coils. So I took one of my coils off along with the wires and spark plugs and took it into my local kaw dealer and they ran a coil test on it and it came out reading fine. I even got to see it shooting sparks. Haha now I just want to see it sparking on my bike. So this leads me to wonder what's wrong. My guess is my ic ignitor is shot. I pulled it out and had to give it a good cleaning cause it had battery acid covering half of it. Any thoughts?! What do I need to do to get my bike sparking? Am I over looming anything? ( yes the kill switch was turned to the on possition and I was In on the clutch) there are two little connections that arnt connected. One comes off the positive battery cable heads to one of the fuse boxes and then is just not connected. It doesn't have anything to connect with. I think it's a white wire with a black line. The other is three wires coming back from the wiring harness and it's all by itself to. Any and all help would be much appreciated!!! I'm learning and would like to continue to do so. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2010 11:38 #369038 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Help! No spark!!
shea wrote:

Hello everyone. So I took one of my coils off along with the wires and spark plugs and took it into my local kaw dealer and they ran a coil test on it and it came out reading fine. I even got to see it shooting sparks. Haha now I just want to see it sparking on my bike. So this leads me to wonder what's wrong. My guess is my ic ignitor is shot. I pulled it out and had to give it a good cleaning cause it had battery acid covering half of it. Any thoughts?!

My thought is you have found the problem.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• 1981jmotor
  • User
  • shade tree mechanic
More
19 May 2010 20:56 #369151 by 1981jmotor
Replied by 1981jmotor on topic Help! No spark!!
Shea, I have a 1981 1000 CSR, and I just solved an ignition problem that had my bike down for 6 months. The following is a CCP from another forum member who helped me greatly.:

<<The first test to do is ohm out the pickups. This is easier than the following swapping tests. Disconnect the pickup connector at the igniter. (That's the small connector with black, blue red yellow wires.) Then ohm out black to blue and red to yellow. It should be a steady 400 to 500 ohms and both should be about the same.

If it's an intermittent problem, you can do a swap to find out if it's the igniter or the pickups. At the igniter, you swapp the red pickup wire with the blue pickup wire, and the black pickup wire with the yellow pickup wire. At the ignition coils, you swap the black coil wire with the green coil wire. Effectively, here, you have the igniter channels swapped. If the problem stays on the same cylinders, then the igniter is ok, and the problem is in the pickups or the carbs. If the problem moved, it's the igniter that's bad.

After returning the wires back to normal, the next swap is to swap the green and black wires at the coil, (like in the last test). Next you have to pull the advancer, pull the rotor off the advancer, turn the rotor 180 degrees, and re-install the rotor. Then put it all back togetther. If the problem stays in the same cylinders, then the pickups are good, and it's the carbs. If the problem moves, the carbs are fine, and one pickup is bad.>>

Shea, some of the wire colors may be different. The first and easiest thing for you to do is to ohm out the pickup coils. They can be found on Ebay. I bought mine at the local salvage yard for $60. Good Luck, David

1981 Kawasaki CSR 1000

First bike ever at 14 years old was 1969 Honda CL 175.
Bought a brand new Honda CM400T at 16 years old in 1979.