New electronic ignition

More
18 May 2010 21:42 #368932 by KzJim
New electronic ignition was created by KzJim
I completed the running install of my 1st prototype electronic ignition on my '76 KZ400.

The controller fits completely under the stock points cover so there is no remote box to mount. The prototype is mounted to an adapter plate. The second gen will not need the adapter plate, it will drop right in. The optical disc is stainless steel.

It is a 2 wire system, it does have an output if you want to run an electric tach unit. This system will also have the future capability of carrying multiple ignition curves for the same engine or different CC engines.

The coil is a 3ohm 80k, single coil, dual tower unit. 8mm resistor wires are used.

The bike had not run since last Sunday, after setting the choke I hit the starter button and it took about 6 cranks of the engine before it started from cold. I did a few start/stop tests and each time it fired right up after 2 cranks.
I purposely did not do the "coil relay mod" just to test the system to see if the new coil really did fire at low voltage at start. I measured a 10.56vdc at the coil and it works. I will be doing another "cold start' test tomorrow and I will put my meter on the coil to measure voltage at the moment of start.

My second test will be with the “Coil Relay Mod” to see if the initial start response improves and over all running performance.

Here are the final images of the install.

Stock Ignition;

New System;

Coil Install, Right side;

Coil Install, Terminated

Plug Wires Installed, Tank installed;

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2010 22:25 #368935 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic New electronic ignition
I'd get some black RTV compound and seal up the ends of the terminals on the ignition coil to keep moisture out.

Are you using 16 gauge wire there? if so the terminals should be BLUE as they will make for a tighter crimp.

The colors for terminal lugs and splices are the following:

RED 22-20 gauge wire
BLUE 16-14 gauge wire
Yellow 12-10 gauge wire.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 May 2010 04:52 #368948 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic New electronic ignition
very cool
there will probabley be some 400/440/750 twin owners interested in the info on this.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
19 May 2010 07:49 #369005 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic New electronic ignition
Black RTV on terminals?.. are you kidding me?.. I don't use that stuff unless I have to.. It's just messy.. a little dielectric grease is what i use.
And yes the ring terminals are a larger gauge. I had every thing but the ones I wanted.

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.

More
19 May 2010 10:39 #369029 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic New electronic ignition
When wiring any electrical connection using crimp on terminals, it's considered proper workmanship to have wire ends that fit tight on the conductors. Otherwise vibration can quickly make those intermittant or even fail.

I'd suggest at your earliest chance to get new terminals for a reliable connection. Without replacing the yellow terminals with the correct ones, a chance is there for possible failure/stranding you on the road.

Putting some tape or a ty-wrap around the frame tubing will also reduce the possibility of wire fatigue from vibration for the yellow,black and red wires going to the ignition coil.

Motorcycles and high performance aircraft share some simularities, that is they both want to shake off parts if the items are not secured.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 May 2010 11:34 #369037 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic New electronic ignition
Is the ignition design similar to Kawi stock with a solid state device used to ground the coil (replacing the points)?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
19 May 2010 11:40 #369040 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic New electronic ignition
You really can't see it in the images, but the wire from the controller uses the factory aluminum clips that held the original wire from the points up the frame tube, tape will only come off with time, I'd never put tape around tubing to secure wiring. The yellow/red is factory out of the harness.