New stator and handlebar switches and now runs bad

More
14 May 2010 14:32 #367934 by Splandman
I just had a stator, both handlebar switches replaced, and a billet cam chain tensioner installed. Bike ran fairly well when it went in the shop. Now it has no power.

The battery won't stay charged either and I've not had battery problems before on this bike. Before it went in the shop my right switch, the "run" switch did not work. Now I notice that when I turn the key on my neutral light and oil light are very bright. When I turn the switch to run they get really dim. Is that normal?

The bike revs ok in neutral but under load its weak. I rode it about a mile and the revs come slow and at about 6-7k its sputtering a lot. Almost feels like when I took off with the choke on and forgot.

Current Bikes
1980 KZ1000E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
14 May 2010 15:14 #367949 by hocbj23
I assume that whoever installed the cam chain tensioner knew what they were about.There are a couple of threads on here about how to do it,and APE has instructions on their model.As to charging issues,did the shop check out the regulator,rectifier when they put the stator in? did they replace the bullet connectors in the stator housing as they are often fried on these old bikes.just a few ? for u to ask the shop folks to be sure they put everything back together right.Good Luck.bj

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
14 May 2010 18:15 #367988 by Motor Head
If you paid a shop good money to repair your bike, you should take it back to them after talking to the service manager about the problems. They may have missed something electrically, and they may have had the cam chain slip over a sprocket if the motor was in the wrong position when removing the tensioner, of course you have a pretty slack chain and it might have been worth replacing it.
Just my thoughts.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
17 May 2010 04:31 #368458 by Splandman
I haven't had time to get it back to the shop yet. I went for a test ride and got stranded. Bike really didn't run well at all and the brake lamp on my gauges stays on all the time now and gets brighter when I hit the throttle.

Current Bikes
1980 KZ1000E