Horn wiring?

More
13 May 2010 21:49 #367824 by Seen172
Horn wiring? was created by Seen172
So I have an 82 750 LTD. I didn't like the original left hand switch that came on the bike. So I bought a switch off of ebay, from an 1980. The harness connectors were different, but some chopping got everything working well, except the horn(it did work with the original switch). How are the horns wired on the 80 model? The only thing I can think, is that there is a hot wire into the horn and a wire from the horn to the switch which grounds the circuit(the switch has only one wire for the horn). This is the only thing I have left to do on the bike before safety inspection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
14 May 2010 04:22 #367836 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Horn wiring?
Thats the way it is on my 1978 KZ1000 A2. The hot wire goes to the horn, and when you press the button in, it completes the ground side of the circuit. The switch grounds to the handle bar if I am not mistaken.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
14 May 2010 18:16 #367989 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Horn wiring?
Seen, Believe you have it figured correctly, You might try this.... grab a bit of wire, & attach 1 end to anything that's a good ground.(cyl head/engine,bare frame whatever) & hold other end to switch housing/mounting screw & try horn.if this results in horn, you need some kind of ground for switch...possibly an un-used wire from new sw. assy.. (Worthless Note: Handlebars/steering stems are a poor source for system grounds as primary contact to chassis is thru stem bearings. Luck g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
14 May 2010 18:36 #367994 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Horn wiring?
Hook up a couple of test wires to your horn terminals, if it sounds off great. If not it will be the horn, there is a small screw and lock nut for the adjust of tone. You could try loosening and tightening this while the 2 wires are hooked up, +,- of course.
Otherwise keep checking for ground from the switch.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
14 May 2010 20:34 #368035 by Seen172
Replied by Seen172 on topic Horn wiring?
Thanks, I got it working again. Just hooked the wire from the switch to the horn, and there was still power from the existing wiring, hooked it to the horn, snipped the original ground back a bit, taped it off. easy easy.