spark plug caps

More
11 May 2010 17:59 #367325 by Kawboy74
spark plug caps was created by Kawboy74
Hello I am building a '74 Z1 and am doing a little bit of forward research. I have a set of 3 ohm Dyna coils with the Dyna pickup purchased for the build. I also bought a set of Dyna wires but would like to incorporate NGK plug caps. The problem I see is there are basically two types of boots that are identical other than one set has 1 ohm resistance and the other has five ohm resistance.I seem to remember that the resistance had a lot to do with radio interference which is not a concern so should I try to see what the original cap rating was or is it not an issue? Obviously the dyna coils will perform better and produce a hotter spark but doesn't plug gap play more of a role in this area? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks David

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
11 May 2010 19:11 #367340 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic spark plug caps
There are some posts here from otakar and others that go into the plug gap issue with aftermarket ignitions. I have an 82 CSR with the J motor with a Dyna S and 3 ohm Green Dyna coils and am running Taylor 8mm wires, the stock NGK plugs but with a .40 gap and my bike runs fine all the way up to rev limiter.Some folks are running as hi as a .60 gap.Depends on ur coils and ignition. I am sure others will weigh in with opinions.bj

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
11 May 2010 19:15 #367341 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic spark plug caps
Sorry..040 gap not .40.bj

More
11 May 2010 19:48 - 11 May 2010 19:51 #367349 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic spark plug caps
Kawboy74 wrote:

Hello I am building a '74 Z1 and am doing a little bit of forward research. I have a set of 3 ohm Dyna coils with the Dyna pickup purchased for the build. I also bought a set of Dyna wires but would like to incorporate NGK plug caps. The problem I see is there are basically two types of boots that are identical other than one set has 1 ohm resistance and the other has five ohm resistance.I seem to remember that the resistance had a lot to do with radio interference which is not a concern so should I try to see what the original cap rating was or is it not an issue? Obviously the dyna coils will perform better and produce a hotter spark but doesn't plug gap play more of a role in this area? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks David

Five Ohms of cap resistance is negligible, since it is in series with an air gap which is many millions of Ohms. I thought spark plug resistor wires were a lot higher like 10k Ohms to kill EMI radiation (from ringing). Five Ohms is totally negligible.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 11 May 2010 19:51 by bountyhunter.