Neutral light stays on with key out after using...

More
07 May 2010 23:08 #366366 by Sweet Back
Hey all, been a while. Bikes been sitting and I start it from time to time but this time the battery wouldn't turn it. I hooked up my neighbors "jumper box". One of those things that charges but also has a "start" setting. Well, after I used that setting, the neutral light is staying on even though the key is out. Any thoughts about what I fried? Thanks.

Its a KZ1000P 96.

1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
08 May 2010 05:01 - 08 May 2010 05:03 #366379 by Kawickrice
Sounds to me like the key switch is worn out internally. Try the jiggle jiggle jiggle method to see if you can get it to turn off. If that is an original police key it has probably been turned on and off quite abit over the years

Z1 Enterprises sells the switch starting at 15 bucks depending on the bike you got. Very easy fix. Good Luck

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Last edit: 08 May 2010 05:03 by Kawickrice.

More
08 May 2010 12:15 #366484 by Sweet Back
I would agree if everything else stayed on but it's just the neutral light. I assume that means its the wiring for it. Since nothing else stays on, I'm guessing it's just that.

1996 KZ1000P

More
09 May 2010 13:31 #366852 by Sircraigery
Replied by Sircraigery on topic Neutral light stays on with key out after using
Check that the wire that goes into the engine for your neutral switch isn't grounded.

When your bike is in neutral, it closes a switch in the engine which ground the wire. It's opposite of most light circuits where the switch will cut the (+) wire.

So if this wire is grounded anywhere on the frame, your light is going to come on. I would confirm this with a wiring diagram. Also try moving the wire harness around while the bike is on, and see if you can pinpoint where that wire is grounded.

More
09 May 2010 13:50 #366855 by loudhvx
If the ignition switch is off, you shouldn't even have power to the light at all. At least that is how it is on most of the KZ's. I did not find a KZP diagram anywhere.

If there is power on the neutral light, does it go on and off when you switch the gears (while bike is off) ? If not, then it's possible the negative side of the light has power on it and the positive side is actually grounding out through the other circuits.

Another possibility is that the jump-start shorted the detection circuit on the reg/rec. If the reg/rec has a brown wire on it, check to see if that wire has positive voltage on it. If it does, then unplug it and see if the neutral light stays on. However, if this was the problem, then other lights would be on too, like the oil pressure light and gauge lights etc.

If you can post a readable diagram for the 96 KZP it would be a lot easier to lead you in the troubleshooting.