Custom Turn Signals

More
27 Apr 2010 19:26 #363712 by Fozzie
Custom Turn Signals was created by Fozzie
I've been thinking about making custom turn signals on the back using some pretty cool lights I've found on ebay. Has anyone else taken on a project like this? Any problems? Pics would be awesome, thanks guys.

1982 KZ1000J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2010 19:36 #363719 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Custom Turn Signals
Check the local laws. The lights have to be a certain minimum distance away from the center of the brake light lense to the left or right (I think it's 8" in California). Don't give the cops any excuse to pull you over.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Apr 2010 20:10 #363735 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Custom Turn Signals
If you go with LED signals, I doubt if the lamp current will be enough to make the signal flasher to work unless you change it to an electronic one.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Apr 2010 15:32 #363909 by Fozzie
Replied by Fozzie on topic Custom Turn Signals
Yeah, one of the things I was thinking about was the distance between the lights, but I didn't know there were any laws. Something to research for NC. And as far as LED's go, what would I have to do? Switch to electronic? Explain please.

1982 KZ1000J

More
28 Apr 2010 15:37 #363910 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Custom Turn Signals
You'd have to replace the silver flasher can with an electronic one. I believe most auto parts stores carry them. They are supposed to be able to compensate for LED or regular bulbs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Apr 2010 20:20 #364030 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Custom Turn Signals
Here's what I run for blinkers on my 650, this is the right turn light. I live in Cal. and the cops don't say anything about spacing. I've had a couple cops say where's your rear turn lights and I turn them on and they say cool.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
28 Apr 2010 20:27 #364032 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Custom Turn Signals
I have seen posts from guys who integrated the TS lights into the brake light assembly and got written up for it (it was posted on other bike forums). Somebody posted the VC about it and I recall it was eight inches off center, I know it's too close if they are all the same lamp. Local cops may not care, the CHP are the guys who are supposed to know all the stuff.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 Apr 2010 03:56 #364051 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Custom Turn Signals
I would think you could also add a resistor to the circuit to make the flasher work. Don't know the value or specs needed offhand though.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
29 Apr 2010 05:39 #364068 by sabell
Replied by sabell on topic Custom Turn Signals
Rather then adding resistor IMHO it's easier to just get the electronic flasher at the auto parts store for about $12. Mark Wing, what did you use to block off the midddle of your light to keep it from bleeding over to the other side?

'78 KZ1000A2
'79 650SR

More
29 Apr 2010 08:57 #364113 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Custom Turn Signals
I didn't use anything, the reflector is shaped to only let light come out on separate sides. So far the CHP Orange and Anaheim police have let it slide, besides I know a cop that will sign it off.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
29 Jun 2010 20:40 #379113 by sabell
Replied by sabell on topic Custom Turn Signals
Had to steal your idea Mark...never cared for turn signals much, but your way kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

'78 KZ1000A2
'79 650SR

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Jun 2010 22:06 - 29 Jun 2010 22:13 #379143 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Custom Turn Signals
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationi used these small black with orange lens ones and they pretty much disapear...i never leave my turn signals hooked up for my own saftey reasons ...but they were bright as hell and are super low profile.....

the stems on the little light kits are not long enough for the headlight brackets and washers and nuts...the tail light set were just barely long enough....

here's what i did...i double nutted the aftermarket lights shank and backed it outta the little plastic light housing ...then i ran to a hardware store and got their longest all thread lamp electric deal (2-3") and used those with two nuts screwed em 1 " into the turn signal after feeding the lights wires through the hollow all threads deals....i did twist one signals wires free...the next time i was very slow and extra careful with the tiny wires and the shitty solder points,and they fabbed up fine...i double nutted them inside the headlight bucket and the tail sections mount holes and they stayed put....2 yrs and i forget they are even there...they will however really light the intersection up ...if hooked up ...and i would give em a 10, actually a 11, just bgecause they are only a few bucks a set.....the hardware store lamp poles centers were extra and ran like 2-3 a piece too.....good luck....this is the way i will do all my bikes now...it is low profile and blends against the frame imo....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 29 Jun 2010 22:13 by trianglelaguna.