charging system blues

More
24 Apr 2010 10:52 #362830 by benjamin
charging system blues was created by benjamin
hello all, i have a couple of questions. my bike overcharges. at 4000rpm its making 15 + volts. sometimes up to 16. unplug regulator and i get 16+. my regulator is getting very hot to the touch. especially the little phillips screw en the exterior of the metal shell. as far as i can tell ive got a good ground to the regulator case and the plug is seated all the way in. any suggestions. my motorcycle wiring harness at the ignition switch has a four pin connector, red, blue, white, brown color wires. i have tried using a six pin switch but everything didnt operate. when i installed the regulator that i bought off ebay i think it was trying to work. i saw 13 to 14 volts. this was with the ignition switch plugged in and some wires jumped out by backprobing at the cycle side harness. the more i ran the bike i saw the voltage creeping up. i shut the bike off and decided to get a print and jump the correct wires at the cycle side harness. i connected brown and white together, and blue and red together. at this time i was seeing 14.5 or so volts at idle but over 15 at 4000 rpm. did i mess up the regulator by not checking what wires to jump with the switch connected? did i get a bad used regulator to start? with the old regulator plugged in i was seeing 15 to 16 volts at idle so i think the "newer" regulator was trying to work. not blowing any fuses. dont feel the white main power wire getting hot. how hot should the regulator get? never paid attention to the temp before. guys, i want to ride. my project is getting close and this is frustrating. found a new regulator but they want several hundred for it and to top it off i dont want to plug it in and fry it. your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. i want to see how this baby goes. thank you, marc....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2010 11:20 #362838 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic charging system blues
Go to www.electrosport.com and follow the troubleshooting page.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Apr 2010 12:31 #362848 by benjamin
Replied by benjamin on topic charging system blues
THE SIX PIN DOES WORK.

More
24 Apr 2010 12:34 #362849 by benjamin
Replied by benjamin on topic charging system blues
dont see a troubleshooting page. followed the tree in a clymers and it leads to replace regulator if it charges over 15 at 4000. it does, although i dont just want to throw parts at it. dont want to fry a regulator. ??????????????????????????????

More
24 Apr 2010 15:03 #362878 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic charging system blues

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)