Digital Speedometer

More
21 Apr 2010 13:21 #362179 by roccon99
Digital Speedometer was created by roccon99
Hello everyone,

This is my first post as I just purchased a 1981 KZ650 a few days ago. The bike itself is a bobber project with most of the mechanical/frame legwork done. Unfortunately, the PO modified or removed a lot of the wiring for the various controls since they were not required in his state. So I currently have a bobber without turn signals or a speedometer, both of which are required in PA. I'll save the turn signal conversation for another time, since there is a lot of work needed there. But, the PO told me that all I really need for the speedometer is the actual speedo and cable that hooks up near the hub of the front wheel. That sounds suspiciously too easy to me though. I know this is sort of vague, but I need all the help I can get. Is there any place where I can get a diagram of the speedometer hookup showing all the connections and components; essentially I'm just trying to find out what's there and what I'll need to buy. Also, is there an easy swap as far as using a digital speedo - I'd like something small since I'm sticking with the bobber style.

I appreciate all and any help...thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2010 04:21 #362263 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Digital Speedometer
I am also in PA, and tho I do want to keep my turn signals, I was under the impression they are not required.

As for your speedo, I think there is also a power wire so that it lights up with the headlight. If it's just for inspection, you could probably just use a bicycle speedometer. There is also those add on speedos that have a tach and all the idiot lights built into a single gauge. I forget the name but they run about $120 for the lowend, which had everything I would need in a multi-gauge. Alltell or something like that.

How about some pics of this bobber project?

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
22 Apr 2010 04:22 #362264 by djturnz
Replied by djturnz on topic Digital Speedometer
Acewell is what I was thinking of.

1982 KZ750 (4) LTD

More
22 Apr 2010 05:09 #362277 by roccon99
Replied by roccon99 on topic Digital Speedometer

Not sure if these pictures will work, but here's the beginnings of my 81 bobber.
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2010 05:10 #362279 by roccon99
Sorry, meant to post 3 different pictures instead of the same one...
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2010 05:11 #362280 by roccon99
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2010 05:39 #362288 by roccon99
djturnz...thanks for the info, I did a little research on the Acewell - and it seems like a pretty nice unit. It looks like everyone is using the magnetic pickup instead of a direct connect cable...is it possible to make the S10 that Acewell sells for Kawasaki's fit into an 81kz650?

More
22 Apr 2010 06:03 #362292 by Bad Dad
Replied by Bad Dad on topic Digital Speedometer
roccon99 wrote:

Sorry, meant to post 3 different pictures instead of the same one...

Nice chop, it's almost done...

Check the link below for ideas... the site is friendly to all bike brands & styles!

www.choppertownnation.com

76 KZ900LTD
82 GPz750R1
01 VULCAN 800A-CHOPPED
76 IRONHEAD-CHOPPED
77 RD 400 Cafe

More
22 Apr 2010 06:06 #362293 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Digital Speedometer
I just made the S10 connector fit my KZ650B1 other day. You need an old speedo cable. You cut the old cable and take off the nut that attaches to the speedo drive. Then you take the nut off the acewell pickup. I sanded out the inside lip of the stock nut to fit the acewell sensor body, and then the lip on the acewell pickup has to be ground down to fit that into the kawi nut. If that doesn't make any sense ask me some questions to clarify.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
22 Apr 2010 06:16 #362294 by roccon99
T_Dub...that makes perfect sense. The only problem is that I don't have the original speedo cable. I wonder if I could just find a generic nut that fits the speedo drive and slides over the S10?

More
22 Apr 2010 06:25 #362295 by roccon99
@Bad Dad....thanks for the info. Once I get all the electrical issues figured out, I'm gonna sandblast and paint the entire bike (not sure what color yet). But, for now I'm focused on turn signals, speedo, and finding a cheap/reliable solenoid relay.

More
22 Apr 2010 06:28 - 22 Apr 2010 06:29 #362296 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Digital Speedometer
You technically could I guess, but you'd still have to grind down the lip on the acewell drive a little. That's because the threads themselves are of a smaller ID than the lip OD.

But I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to find someone with an old speedo cable to give you. Even a new one is only $12. Worth it in my view, this way is much cleaner than the magnetic pickup.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler
Last edit: 22 Apr 2010 06:29 by T_Dub.