Plug Wires In Coils

More
17 Apr 2010 11:13 #361340 by BIGD
Plug Wires In Coils was created by BIGD
I have removed my coils and spark plug wires to replace my valve cover gasket and did not mark where the proper wires are placed back. I think #1 & #4 are left side and #2 & #3 are right side coils. But I do not remember which hole the top or bottom of the coil these wires go into. Or which wires connect to the red and black on the left side and the red and green on the right side. Thanks in advance. BIGD

Had 1981 KZ1000 M1 From 1981-1995 Canadian Model
Have 1981 KZ1000 M1 US Model

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2010 15:32 #361370 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Plug Wires In Coils
BIGD wrote:

I have removed my coils and spark plug wires to replace my valve cover gasket and did not mark where the proper wires are placed back. I think #1 & #4 are left side and #2 & #3 are right side coils. But I do not remember which hole the top or bottom of the coil these wires go into. Or which wires connect to the red and black on the left side and the red and green on the right side. Thanks in advance. BIGD

All sounds correct.

Plug wires within the same coil are interchangeable.

The small wires to the two primary terminals on a coil are also interchangeable (as the primary windings aren't polarized).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
17 Apr 2010 15:42 #361371 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Plug Wires In Coils
Just plug 1 and 4 into one coil (doesnt matter what port), and 2 and 3 into the other coil.

Then connect red and green to 1 coil, and red and black to other (doesnt matter which connector).

Try to start the bike. It will either start like normal, or crank over several times and afterfire.
Its loud if it afterfires, but its ok, it wont hurt anything, unless you did it many times.

If afterfires, just switch the green and black wires across coils, and she'll fire right up!

Cheers!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)