2-3 not firing/timing mark question

More
10 Apr 2010 11:32 - 10 Apr 2010 12:25 #359689 by azr
I've put in a DynaS to replace a faulty pickup. It started fine 2 wks ago, all four cylinders firing but now I go to start her up again and I can't get 2 & 3 firing. Tested everything and coils are within spec. I'm even getting current to the plugs (blue spark) but the pipes won't heat up. I'm resetting the timing and it talks about adjusting the timing for 2 & 3 but no where on my plate is there an "F" mark for 2&3 only for 1&4 (there are two "T" marks opposite eachother, "F" mark for 1&4, and the double dashes for advanced). Anyone help me out here. Frustrating to say the least. Carbs have been rebuilt and there is fuel on all fours plugs.So looking at past threads found that certain models do not have a 2&3 mark so I just measured and made my own. Still cannot get 2&3 to fire. Any thoughts would be appreciated. The crappy thing was that what started all this was I couldn't get 1&4 to fire but tested and found the pickup coil to be bad....arrrr.

1980 KZ750E
Last edit: 10 Apr 2010 12:25 by azr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2010 15:23 #359721 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 2-3 not firing/timing mark question
It would help if you put the year and model (ending with a letter code) in your signature so we know what bike we are talking about.

But you said you have blue spark on 2 and 3. That would indicate the ignition is working, no? If they are not firing, are the plugs at least wet with fuel?

More
10 Apr 2010 17:44 #359770 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic 2-3 not firing/timing mark question
Run through the static and dynamic adjustments again... Possibly the plate or pickups themselves have shifted position....

Good trouble shooting to see if the coil is receiving on the timing marks correctly...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
10 Apr 2010 18:01 #359785 by azr
Replied by azr on topic 2-3 not firing/timing mark question
Sorry, I usually post the bike. 80 KZ750. Found the problem. Swapped the coil out and she runs. Go figure. I did the test and it showed fine, but alas. She's popping a bit still after a carb sync and mixture screws adjusted. I know the float bowls are not perfect. Trying to set those damn things and having to pull them apart, put them back, pull them apart and put them together. That's crazy! (I did make a makeshift bench to do it on which saved a bit of hassle). I suppose I'm going to have to put a new pair of Dyna coils on her.

1980 KZ750E

More
10 Apr 2010 18:13 - 10 Apr 2010 18:14 #359792 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 2-3 not firing/timing mark question
If the coils were original, they were probably on their way out. The Dyna S simply put on the last straw to break the camel's back. Good that you found it at home rather than getting stuck out on the road.

I had two original (20 year old) coils go out within a few miles of each other. I was stranded in nowhere on a Sunday.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2010 18:14 by loudhvx.