coil trouble help!!!!

More
22 Mar 2010 15:27 #355474 by terry s
coil trouble help!!!! was created by terry s
I have a 80 1000ltd and I have 12 volts on one side of one coil and the other side 0 volts. And the other coil I have 12 volts on both primary studs. Is this normal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2010 15:52 #355482 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic coil trouble help!!!!
Do you have points or electronic ignition? If you have points, the point for that coil may be closed giving you the 12 volts. If you have electronic ignition, the pickup coil may be triggering the IC Igniter giving the coil it's ground.

Open the points cover,and turn the engine a little and check the coils again.Use the larger"Fake" bolt to turn the engine, it's 17mm I believe.

I'd imagine on your ignition coils, there are for the LEFT coil RED and BLACK wires(2) and for the RIGHT coil,RED and GREEN.

To check coil voltage,check from the RED wires to anywhere on the frame with a bolt or bare metal.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
22 Mar 2010 16:01 #355484 by terry s
Replied by terry s on topic coil trouble help!!!!
I believe it is electronic. I unplugged the 2 wires going to the elec. ign. and checked the voltage on the redish wire and had 12 volts on both lugs on one of the coils. On the other coil I just had 12 volts on the redish wire. Does this feed thru the coil and feed the other side 12 volts?

More
23 Mar 2010 11:58 #355644 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic coil trouble help!!!!
If you have electronic ignition, and the motor is stopped, but the ignition switch is on, you should have 12v on both wires at the coil. If one is zero, it could be the coil has an open circuit or the igniter (or the wire to it) is shorted. If the igniter or wire is shorted, the coil will get hot. Is that coil hot?

More
23 Mar 2010 17:59 #355707 by terry s
Replied by terry s on topic coil trouble help!!!!
No the coil is not hot. I took the wires off going to the electronic ignition and it did not change my reading. I ordered a set of dyna coils today. I hope this settles this problem. thanks for all the help...