kz650, cant get stator!?

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
23 Mar 2010 13:28 #355661 by eyeofthestorm
Replied by eyeofthestorm on topic kz650, cant get stator!?
yeah, its still go the stock neck, youre right i gave you the engine number, my bad. i wasnt thinkin, i have em both memorized lol so sometimes i fire off the wrong one. anyways its a kz650b036627

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2010 14:09 - 23 Mar 2010 14:26 #355671 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic kz650, cant get stator!?
Ok, according to your frame numer and the model info I have, your bike is a 77 B1, probably just registered as a 78 - if so your alternator innards should look like the pic below?

Edit: Hmm, I just checked some pics of your bike, and it appears you do have a 78 engine and not a 77 (your stator cover has no holes for the field coil bolts as far as I can tell) - I would really like to see a pic of your alternator.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Mar 2010 14:26 by OnkelB.

• eyeofthestorm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • its KZ kraziness!
More
31 Mar 2010 23:22 #357625 by eyeofthestorm
Replied by eyeofthestorm on topic kz650, cant get stator!?
yeah, this thing is an oddball... if i ever crack it open ill let you know, i did some more informed testing and discovered the rectifier/regulator as the source, found a replacement (yeah, even specifically for this bike, talk about some good luck for once) and shes been fine ever since.

now im working on jetting, but this is a thread for another forum, so ill post it in the proper area.

• BINJIEU
  • User
  • Always leave 'em smiling!
More
08 Apr 2010 12:27 #359250 by BINJIEU
Replied by BINJIEU on topic kz650, cant get stator!?
WOW, those pictures could easily be my very own Stator parts. If you happened to stumble on to any for sale, please let me know. Been looking for over a year without any luck. All replies have been for something else.

77 KZ650 w/ Dyna S ignition and stock coils
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

More
08 Apr 2010 15:14 - 08 Apr 2010 16:20 #359298 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic kz650, cant get stator!?
BINJIEU wrote:

WOW, those pictures could easily be my very own Stator parts. If you happened to stumble on to any for sale, please let me know. Been looking for over a year without any luck. All replies have been for something else.

If it really gets impossible to get a 77-650 charge system, you can just convert the whole thing to a much simpler, and usually cheaper (if used), 78 and up system. Onkel B or RonKZ650 would know more about it. You'd have to get a reg/rec, stator, and rotor/flywheel, and a little bit of wiring. But for that 78-later system you can get a new heavy duty rec/reg, and new heavy duty stator. You would only need a cover and flywheel from a 78 or later. There may be a slight mod you'd have to do to the cover.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2010 16:20 by loudhvx.

More
08 Apr 2010 16:06 #359315 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic kz650, cant get stator!?
BINJIEU wrote:

Where did you look?? Here's a sampling of what's currently on eBay. I would contact sellers before buying to ask about D.O.A. return policy.

Used 1

Used 2

Used 3

Used 4

Used 5

Used 6

NOS 1

NOS 2

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Apr 2010 17:35 #359337 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic kz650, cant get stator!?
I've got a stator and field coil off a 77 that I know are good. I bought them NOS on ebay a couple years ago and when the motor came out of the bike my charging system worked like a champ. 14.4v at idle all the way through the rpm band. I was running the separate reg and rec from www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com plus the NOS stator and field coil. Parting out the bike now, already sold the reg and rec, but still have the stator and field coil (in a cover even to make install super easy). Shoot me a pm or email at axton_kahler@yahoo.com if you're interested. I'd like to see $150 for the stator and field coil, spent over $400 for the both of them NOS...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE