tack and handlebar kill switch not working

More
20 Mar 2010 18:46 #355014 by dvjoiner
just put on a new dyna ind. with coils on my kz1000p now my tack not working and the kill switch on the handle bar not killing the motor. L did away with the stock wiring and ran a 12 volt wire to the red wire + on the pickups and new wires to the coils

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2010 09:49 #355167 by sm0kinace
Replied by sm0kinace on topic tack and handlebar kill switch not working
sounds like you created your own problem there....unless you replaced the wiring exactly as you took it out you will have problems. looks like on the kz1000 that the tach gets its signal from the one of the coils and if you ran +12v straight to the coils then yes, you bypassed the kill switch.
i don't know the year your bike is but here is a wiring diagram that is most likely very similar, it is a police cruiser right? you should find the correct one and take it to a buddy who is good with electrical work and have him help you straighten it out.

1978 KZ650
Ichyta, KS
Attachments:

More
21 Mar 2010 11:38 #355188 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic tack and handlebar kill switch not working
dvjoiner wrote:

just put on a new dyna ind. with coils on my kz1000p now my tack not working and the kill switch on the handle bar not killing the motor. L did away with the stock wiring and ran a 12 volt wire to the red wire + on the pickups and new wires to the coils

Just to confirm ---

The 12 volt wire should have voltage only when the ign switch is in the ON position (i.e., switched battery positive).

And the batt+ feed to ign coils should also be switched battery positive

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD