kz650 won't start

• christopherguzzi
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Mar 2010 22:14 #354760 by christopherguzzi
kz650 won't start was created by christopherguzzi
So.... I recently bought a 1978 kz650 SR. It ran so so when I drove it home, but it started pretty easily, plenty of power, and shifted through the gears nicely.

Just so you know, I'm a bit of a hack shade tree mechanic. Mostly trial and error and occasionally breaking things as I go. I immediately started wrenching on it once I got it into the garage. New cafe fairing, checked air cleaner, recovered the seat, new rear brake pads, oiled the chain, and ordered some new tires for it.

I put new spark plugs in it and it ran better. Then I got curious and took off the points cover to find a Martek 440 electronic ignition. Getting more curious, I unbolted the Martek to see what was underneath it, to find the points plate (I think that's what it's called). Having taken care of my curiousity, I put it back together only to find that now the bike won't start. :woohoo:

Any thoughts on what may be wrong??? Could I have messed up the timing or something? I checked the fuses and they're good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 Mar 2010 22:21 - 19 Mar 2010 22:22 #354761 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic kz650 won't start
Sounds like you threw your timing out of whack. Now you have to start from scratch to get it to fire, but if done right it will run better than so so. Do you have a manual?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL
Last edit: 19 Mar 2010 22:22 by Kawickrice.

• christopherguzzi
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Mar 2010 23:18 #354778 by christopherguzzi
Replied by christopherguzzi on topic kz650 won't start
I was hoping for a quick fix to get things back to what they were when it ran. I don't think I have spark now. I pulled a plug and put it on the block, no spark while turning it over. I have a Clymer manual but am not really sure where to start with getting the timing back to where it will run. I'll read through it again. Thanks.

More
19 Mar 2010 23:53 - 20 Mar 2010 00:07 #354782 by jayw704
Replied by jayw704 on topic kz650 won't start
Well if you do have an electronic ignition it should be relatively easy to re-time (even for us shade tree mechanics) If you have a simple test light and a wrench. These are the directions for my dyna s ignition which in all concept should be close to the same technique. Hope it helps. just highlight this site and give it a quick read under timing on page four at the bottom. www.mpsracing.com/instructions/Dynatek/D32-1_32-2.pdf

1978 KZ1000
Go Loud and go fast or dont go at all!!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Mar 2010 00:07 by jayw704. Reason: sorry pic didnt post

• christopherguzzi
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Mar 2010 18:55 #355316 by christopherguzzi
Replied by christopherguzzi on topic kz650 won't start
Thanks for your help guys. I managed to get it back on the road. It just took a bit of tinkering to get it running and then I tuned it by ear. Looks like the old Martek 440 will keep her going a little while longer.