Charging Battery to start the season

More
09 Mar 2010 18:23 #352321 by tenyart
Charging Battery to start the season was created by tenyart
Hey gang...been awhile since I posted anything. Was out of work a bit over the winter, so tried to stay away from all bike related temptation so I wouldn't spend money! :)
Looking to get the bike ready to go now that the weather is finally starting to turn for the better. I went to hook up a battery charger tonight, and noticed inside looked bone dry. I don't know much at all about batteries...was planning on disconnecting and taking it to the local auto parts store to have the battery checked. When I bought the bike in September I was told the battery was brand new. It looks to be pretty new. Can I just add a little water in the plugs and charge it?

'78 KZ650B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2010 19:15 #352336 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Charging Battery to start the season
No harm in giving it a try and since it isn't worth a damn as is, nothing to lose right... ;)

Unfortunately, chances are it's toast though... Sorry...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
09 Mar 2010 19:16 - 09 Mar 2010 19:17 #352337 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Charging Battery to start the season
Best to remove battery from bike and service it on the work bench.

Bring fluid to proper levels with distilled water.

Charge overnight. 1 amp is good imo.

Before reinstalling, check specific gravity (little floating balls tool) and have load tested at the auto parts store.

With good charged battery reinstalled, would check charging system performance by measuring voltage across battery terminals at idle (look for 12~13 volts dc) and at 4000 rpm (look for 14+ volts dc).

Assure battery cable terminal connections are clean and snug. And also assure a good clean connection where the negative battery cable attaches to rear of engine.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Mar 2010 19:17 by Patton.

More
09 Mar 2010 19:20 #352339 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Charging Battery to start the season
Use distilled water(the kind used for steam irons) as it's mineral free(the tap water can slowly ruin a battery).

Never add acid to a battery too as it will upset the balance or water/acid needed to produce energy.

After charging, take to a shop for load testing to determine if it's still good.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)