A new LH control installation. Visual how to.

• Nephlyte
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • To do what is right is to know what you want.
More
06 Mar 2010 12:10 - 07 Mar 2010 15:08 #351583 by Nephlyte
Not an OEM new one. But i got a left hand control off a honda rebel. I chose it b/c it has the same diameter handlebar and same controls (blinkers, headlight, horn). It didn't have hazards, but my hazards have never worked anyway. You could do this with any control from any bike, just match up connectors and handlebar size.

I thought the connectors were the same, unfortunately they were the same shape, but both male ends. So, a quick order of a new eletrical connectors from z1enterprises solved that, but you could probably get them from any well stocked electronics store (not radioshack). I also could've chopped up the wires on either side and soldered the new connection in, but i felt it best to leave them alone. Also, i needed to extend the harness anyway.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2952

Theres the product that solved the problem.

Next, I took off the old control, pretty simple.

Note the missing headlight button. The turn signals were not reliable.

Then, i took both controls apart and marked what color wire does what. A wiring diagram from a manual might illustrate this, but i don't like to leave anything to chance. Turns out motorcycle controls hadn't changed in the 10 years between bike designs, which was good for me.

Now get a little piece of paper out, and route the wires from you new control to where that control should be on the OEM connection. My new control had free hanging wires for blinkers, but the KZ wiring harness has the blinkers inside the connector. So i had to route them to the right spot. This is pretty easy. You will also notice that some of the wires will not even need to be used on your new control, but be aware, ALL of the connections from your KZ harness should be connected to something. Kawasaki didn't just put them there to be pretty.

Also, SOLDER EVERYTHING. I can't stress this enough, you do not want to do this again. Here is what your workbench should look like.

note the scribbled markings of a madman on those pieces of paper. That was my guide, yours can be equally schizophrenic looking. (remember, ride the insanity to a positive outcome.)

Now here is the troubling part. Put it on the bike. If you are anything like me, you probably mixed up a few of the wires. so, the only thing to do is plug it all in and find out. You can see where the old connection ends up in the steering column and where the OEM connection is, below and to the right. I tried to color match wires, but i ended up just using whatever wires were the right gauge.

Now, with the harness in place, test your brights, blinkers, and horn. Do you like how those work? If not, then mark what you don't like and pull it back off, you'll need to move some wires around. I mixed up my blinkers. But it was easy enough to fix. Now, tape it up so it looks perty.

And there you have, a wonderful new control.

But, what do you do with your old control? If you are anything like me, donate it to someone who needs parts for their OEM KZ1000 controls. Unfortunately, i can't let it go right away, as i might still need to do some testing, but email me if you'd like it, I'll send it out when i know my new control works.

1979 KZ1000 MKII, 1075 wiseco kit installed, 10.25:1 compression, welded crank, kerker header and custom paint.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2010 15:08 by Nephlyte.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2010 19:06 #351667 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic A few
Nice work.
I've always looked for original/used switches, but you don't always get good used ones.
This is a great idea.
B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.