Removed Fairing, Signals Do Not Flash

• redwood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 650 CSR
More
06 Mar 2010 07:29 - 06 Mar 2010 07:30 #351559 by redwood
Removed Fairing, Signals Do Not Flash was created by redwood
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHello all!
I removed a Vetter Fairing from my 81 650CSR, and after installing an OEM headlight (no front signals yet), the rear signals no longer flash. They remain lit as before as running lights, but when activating the turn signal, there is no flashing. The indicator on the panel on the forks illuminates but does not flash.

No big deal, I thought, just needs the front signals. So I looked around for KZ related turn signals but ended up settling on these.

I looked around for images of the original turn signals to see how many wires they had, but only found two wires, so I figured these would work.

I wire them up real quick to see if they work, and they do. They light up as running lights, awesome, but they don't flash when signal is activated. Now I didn't think to buy dual filament signals. Is it not possible for these signals to be modified to act as running lights and signals?

The fairing had some plastic clip type splicers that pierced the insulation but did not sever the wire. What all am I missing in this equation?

:huh:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2010 07:30 by redwood.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2010 07:54 - 06 Mar 2010 07:55 #351564 by sabell
Replied by sabell on topic Removed Fairing, Signals Do Not Flash
You will need a wire for each function(running light and signal) and a third wire for ground unless the unit is able to ground itself to the frame. Check your wiring to see if you have the wire from the bike that connects the running lights instead of the signal wire. I think that both the front and back need to be connected to complete the circuit and both bulbs need to be good in order for the blinker to work. Test light or meter might be helpful to see where the power is when switched on.

'78 KZ1000A2
'79 650SR
Last edit: 06 Mar 2010 07:55 by sabell.

More
06 Mar 2010 08:23 - 06 Mar 2010 08:27 #351568 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removed Fairing, Signals Do Not Flash
redwood wrote:

...81 650CSR...rear signals no longer flash. They remain lit as before as running lights, but when activating the turn signal, there is no flashing. The indicator on the panel on the forks illuminates but does not flash...original turn signals to see how many wires they had, but only found two wires...They light up as running lights, awesome, but they don't flash when signal is activated. Now I didn't think to buy dual filament signals. Is it not possible for these signals to be modified to act as running lights and signals?

The fairing had some plastic clip type splicers that pierced the insulation but did not sever the wire. What all am I missing in this equation?:huh:

The plastic clip type splicers were just taps to connect fairing lights to the stock wires. When splicers are removed, they are out of the equation.

On a stock 1981 KZ650CSR (which I believe is a KZ650-H1), the wiring diagram shows dual filament front signal bulbs (one filament for the running light, and the other filament for blinking), and shows single filament rear signal bulbs (one filament only for blinking). See image below.

Am unaware of how to rig a single filament turn signal bulb to also serve double duty as a running light. And thinking it would instead be necessary to install a dual filament bulb and the required extra wiring.

Often, non-flashing blinkers may be cured by replacing the flasher unit. An automotive style usually works just fine. And the more expensive electronic? activated (rather than the cheaper heat? activated) flasher is more reliable.

Here's an excerpt from the wiring diagram.

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image for a better view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2010 08:27 by Patton.

• redwood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 650 CSR
More
06 Mar 2010 08:31 #351569 by redwood
Replied by redwood on topic Removed Fairing, Signals Do Not Flash
Alright, well I guess how to set this up to have no running lights and have everything flash appropriately? The rear has dual filament bulbs, so I have running lights and the blinking (that no longer takes place). On the front, if I turn the signal on, the light usually just goes out. No flashing at all.

More
06 Mar 2010 08:45 #351571 by sabell
Replied by sabell on topic Removed Fairing, Signals Do Not Flash
The rears should not function as running lights and would normally have single filament bulbs, unless somebody changed something from stock. It sounds like something is not connected right. Figuring out what wires have power when switched and then connecting the corresponding lamp to that wire might work. You can use one of your signals as a test light.

'78 KZ1000A2
'79 650SR

More
06 Mar 2010 09:05 #351573 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Removed Fairing, Signals Do Not Flash
redwood wrote:

Alright, well I guess how to set this up to have no running lights and have everything flash appropriately? The rear has dual filament bulbs, so I have running lights and the blinking (that no longer takes place). On the front, if I turn the signal on, the light usually just goes out. No flashing at all.

The running light filament in a dual filament bulb operates independently from the flasher unit, and should function with a defective or absent flasher.

The blinker filament in a dual filament bulb operates independently from the running light filament, and should function with a good flasher unit (regardless of whether the running light filament wiring is connected.)

If the wiring is there to support dual filament signal lights front and rear, but single filament bulbs are installed front and rear, should be able to connect for either functional blinkers (with good flasher unit) or functional running lights (flasher condition or existence being irrevelant), but not both runners and blinkers with single filament bulbs.

At least that's my understanding.

If the stock single filament rear blinkers were replaced with dual filament units, am thinking wire must have been added for tap into the running light circuit whereby battery positive would be drawn and furnished to each running light rear bulb filament.

If dual functioning signal lights (both running and blinking) are deemed essential, would likely be more feasible to replace the front single filament lights with dual filament versions, rather than attempting to convert the single filament versions to dual filament bulbs.

Where connected for only blinking, dual or single filament, and, The lights aren't blinking, Clark, it's likely a defective flasher unit.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD