82 Kz 550

• meandeanpoker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2010 12:58 #351274 by meandeanpoker
82 Kz 550 was created by meandeanpoker
Im trying to troubleshoot an old 550. I cranked it up the other day, and it started almost instantly. It ran for maybe 20 seconds and died. And I mean it died. the battery is putting out sufficient voltage, but nothing works. No lights no starter. Its like the battery is completely dead. I checked the main fuse, and its ok. Just wanting some advice on where I need to start.

Thanks in advance,
Dean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• meandeanpoker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2010 13:01 #351276 by meandeanpoker
Replied by meandeanpoker on topic Now What
I checked the battery connections and ground. I put in a new fuse. I took the multimeter and its not getting any juice to the front side of the fuse. Did my ignition switch suddenly go out?

Thanks for the quick help guys

More
04 Mar 2010 15:16 #351293 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Now What
On the right handlebar switch pod, there will be a run/stop switch. This supplies power to the ignition coils. Open up the housing and inspect the switch and wiring.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• meandeanpoker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2010 16:06 #351301 by meandeanpoker
Replied by meandeanpoker on topic Now What
I'm going to open up the housing and check it out. Would this cause no power at all? The key turns to all positions ok, but when it's on "on" there is nothing. Any ideas on how to check into this?

More
05 Mar 2010 07:39 #351386 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Now What
You might want to see if you have voltage at the various ignition switch terminals with the switch OFF. This will tell you if the switch is even part of the equation. If you do find voltage coming to the switch, see if you have voltage at the various terminals with the switch ON. If you now have an additional terminal with voltage, the switch would appear to be working; if not, the switch may be faulty. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)