Question about coils

More
23 Feb 2010 23:15 #349889 by KTA
Replied by KTA on topic Question about coils
My experience with Emgo products has generally been good. I've purchased a lot of various components from them over the years and been happy. However, if it were me, I would probably watch for used parts on ebay before springing for the Emgo set.

That said - if you have the money to splurg for the Dyna setup, it's gravy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2010 11:05 #349947 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Question about coils
nads.com wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

emaxxima wrote:

I have a 79 kz650 that's got under 2000 miles on it, it sat in a garage for about 30 years. I can't seem to get a strong spark even with 12 volts going to the coils, each coil is cracked in 2 places. I looked through the forums, but im still confused as to how properly test the coils.

You can't test them properly because you don't have a high voltage arc down test apparatus. They may Ohm out fine but have arcing through the insulation. You can get new EMGO four Ohm replacement coils from Z1 for $36. I wouldn't screw around with a cracked coil.

Do you know the output of the emgo coils?

Not sure what you mean by "output". The primary resistance should be about four Ohms, not sure what the secondary resistance is.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
24 Feb 2010 19:14 - 24 Feb 2010 19:20 #349993 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Question about coils
bountyhunter wrote:

nads.com wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

emaxxima wrote:

I have a 79 kz650 that's got under 2000 miles on it, it sat in a garage for about 30 years. I can't seem to get a strong spark even with 12 volts going to the coils, each coil is cracked in 2 places. I looked through the forums, but im still confused as to how properly test the coils.

You can't test them properly because you don't have a high voltage arc down test apparatus. They may Ohm out fine but have arcing through the insulation. You can get new EMGO four Ohm replacement coils from Z1 for $36. I wouldn't screw around with a cracked coil.

Do you know the output of the emgo coils?

Not sure what you mean by "output". The primary resistance should be about four Ohms, not sure what the secondary resistance is.

Some good points made here:

High Voltage breakdown test is valid but not often in the scope of possibility for most home mechanics.

IMHO, cracked coils are a strong symptom of problems present and future.

Never used EMGO coils so I don't know what their secondary dc Resistance specification is. For that matter, I don't know what the Output High Voltage specification is either.

FYI, The input and output dc Resistance is tested as shown below:

Best of success, :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Feb 2010 19:20 by bill_wilcox100.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2010 06:15 #350038 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Question about coils
Can't remember when I was comparing, but I believe the Emgo coils have almost identical primary and secondary winding resistances to the OEM coils that were on my Kz900 (which I believe to be the same coils on the Kz650).