Speedo busted-odometer working!?

More
23 Jan 2010 16:23 - 23 Jan 2010 16:23 #344135 by Ozzyzed
Speedo busted-odometer working!? was created by Ozzyzed
Hi Fellas
Issue: The speedo does not work, maybe gets to 40 or so but thats it. The odemeter works fine. Where should I start (gear housing?). I have since having a look made a slight bend in the cable at the gear end but that was since the speedo decided to crap itself (will be relaced). My thinking suggests that since the odometer works then all should be okay at the gear end, am I right or wrong? Really want it fixed so not guessing or using the tacho as a speedo!
Cheers Oz

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1
'They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes'!
Last edit: 23 Jan 2010 16:23 by Ozzyzed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2010 18:45 #344176 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Speedo busted-odometer working!?
OZ, It never does on aged beasts to dismiss anything, but since odo works and speedo is intermittant would guess drive & cable are working. check cable & It's reciever at speedo base. (Smith guages often wore there) otherwise meter is probable cause. Odo is mechanicly driven. speedo is just a magnetic meter movement,meters had no servicable/replacement parts tho there are service centers. Whole assys are avail. thru E-bay. KZ650 sets are prevelant and bolt up, abett being wrong color.Look for existing/working reset knobs. luck g

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
23 Jan 2010 18:53 #344182 by Ozzyzed
Replied by Ozzyzed on topic Speedo busted-odometer working!?
Thanks mate. Could only hope I suppose!:( I'll jump on ebay. Cheers Oz

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1
'They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes'!

More
24 Jan 2010 12:45 #344314 by Leather
Replied by Leather on topic Speedo busted-odometer working!?
There used to be some one here in the atlanta area who did full rebuilds on speedos. but I'd have to hunt thu a TON of links to find them.. Any one remember the guy? :huh:

More
24 Jan 2010 18:28 #344400 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Speedo busted-odometer working!?
Leather wrote:

There used to be some one here in the atlanta area who did full rebuilds on speedos. but I'd have to hunt thu a TON of links to find them.. Any one remember the guy? :huh:

Click here > zresto.com/

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Jan 2010 19:33 #344577 by Dave Sloan
Replied by Dave Sloan on topic Speedo busted-odometer working!?
hey ozzy,Hope you are having a great Australia Day.
I would say that seeing as the odometer is working that the speedo has an issue as they are both driven off of the drive on the wheel or the inner speedo cable has broken and the broken ends are rubbing giving some sort of a reading to check just remove the cable from the bike pull out the inner and see if it is broken. sometimes if the cable has broken inside the outer sleeve of the cable the inner will turn intermittently.If that is ok I bekieve it will be hte speedotself, dunno about Melourne but here in Brissy these guys repair speedos etc

www.ottoinstruments.com.au/

Z650B2 - Injected