dyna s dual fire coil

More
25 Dec 2009 00:49 #340607 by snerff
dyna s dual fire coil was created by snerff
Hi again from snerff. Thanks for all your help in the past. The buggy worked out fine with loudhvox diagrams. I have a new project now. I am building a custom prototype engine kind of a rotory with no pistons. Could you come up with a diagram that would fire the coil without going through the engine pick up? Not sure how the trigger wire fires the coil. Put the coil on the bench, hook up the power and fire it.
Thanks, mabey my question id confusing? Have a good Christmas and thanks for your past help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2009 04:06 - 25 Dec 2009 04:09 #340616 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic dyna s dual fire coil
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do.

It's not real easy to get good, reliable spark from a coil by itself. You will need at least a condenser, or better yet, an electronic ignition module of some kind.

Do you have the stock module? If not then I'd recommend using the GM HEI module. The 4-pin version works well. Here is how you can set it up to use a switch.

I wouldn't recommend this method for an engine, though. I have better circuits for that.This is basically just to test the coil.

The HEI modules can be had for about $15 at most American auto parts stores. You can ask for an igniter for a 1977 Chevy Nova or Camaro 350 v-8.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Dec 2009 04:09 by loudhvx.

More
25 Dec 2009 04:13 #340617 by loudhvx
After re-reading the post title, I guess you are trying to fire the Dyna S. Well by default, when it's all powered up, it runs current through the coil. Then as a small magnet comes near the pickup, the current stops and a spark happens.

You can just bring a magnet near the pickup sensor to get the spark. Don't leave the circuit powered up for long periods of time. The coil can overheat or the Dyna S can overheat.

More
25 Dec 2009 07:10 #340624 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic dyna s dual fire coil
Looking at that HEI module and it also says Wells model on it in the picture. I don't and recommend not to buy any of the cheap ignition parts. Only go with name brand such as Borg Warner or whatever other major brand they carry at your local auto parts. Just my two cents worth.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

More
25 Dec 2009 10:23 #340651 by loudhvx
sbc1320 wrote:

Looking at that HEI module and it also says Wells model on it in the picture. I don't and recommend not to buy any of the cheap ignition parts. Only go with name brand such as Borg Warner or whatever other major brand they carry at your local auto parts. Just my two cents worth.

The Borg Warner (BWD) HEI module is a repackaged Wells module. The same as the Duralast/Niehoff etc. However none of them are made in the U.S. anymore. They all seem to be from the same manufacturer in Hong Kong.

If you use the HEI in a motorcycle, it doesn't get nearly the useage it gets in a car. It also gets much more cooling air. It should last much longer in a bike than it would in a v-8 car.

More
02 Jan 2010 00:19 #341548 by snerff
Replied by snerff on topic dyna s dual fire coil
As usual, Thanks, Loudhvox.

More
02 Jan 2010 18:43 #341658 by rt green
Replied by rt green on topic dyna s dual fire coil
if you are trying to put together an ignition from scratch, i would consider studing the chrysler hall effect ignition[not the lean burn system.] maybe you could modify a pickup on the crank somehow or try to control it through grounds.