Dear Santa

• ready2ryde1985
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
24 Dec 2009 14:22 #340564 by ready2ryde1985
Dear Santa was created by ready2ryde1985
Im need help !!!! my bike turned over when i bought it that was a plus but all the sudden its like the on off switch went bad i dont know much about wires so even lookin at all the diagrams i have found on line just got me more confused . im located in alton il and would greatly appreciate any help.:(

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2009 15:25 #340574 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Dear Santa
Several things to check:

1.Fully charged battery.

2.Clean and tight battery connections especially the Black Negative(-) ground connection to the engine.

3.Inspect and if possible the check the glass tubed fuses with a self powered test light or a multimeter with the fuse out of the clips. as they can fail but still look good.The metal ends and the fuse element must be intact(if the ends twist or come off, the fuse is bad).

This may be of help:

Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by removing them from the clip and electrically continuity checking with either a self powered test light, or a multimeter set on OHMS can they be determined to be in good shape.

5. A physical inspection of the metal end caps for tightness will tell you if the fuse is serviceable.

6. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

7. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

8. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.

9. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:
www.waytekwire.com
www.rallylights.com
www.delcity.net

Just some places to look before throwing $$$$ at the bike.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Dec 2009 16:56 #340580 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Dear Santa
Does the bike have a neutral, clutch or side stand switch?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• ready2ryde1985
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
25 Dec 2009 12:51 #340667 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic Dear Santa
yes to the neutral switch theres a plug by the clutch lever and two wires down by the kickstand that are tied together. should i do somethin with the plug by the clutch lever. is there anyonein my area that can help me finish my build?

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

More
25 Dec 2009 13:05 #340669 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Dear Santa
riverroad is from that area. He hasn't been logged on in two months. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• ready2ryde1985
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
25 Dec 2009 13:34 #340674 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic Dear Santa
that would be cool i will drop him a line i just think im in over my head and would like some hands on guidance.. lol im not broke but im way over budget due to my lac of knowlage have lots of new parts tho just seem to mess things up when i try to fix it. if anybody is interested drop me a line

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd