Total Wireing

More
23 Dec 2009 20:49 #340474 by bobberboy
Total Wireing was created by bobberboy
Ok people. I think I have a difficult one for you. I don't know how you guys feel about major modifying a KZ bike. I am totaly modifying my 1980 KZ 650E into a hard tailed bobber. I work an an Oreilly Auto Parts and I have done alot of thinking about the wireing on my bike. I want to know if puting a newer style fuse box would work. Also we have ignitions that has an accesory, off, power, and start setting on it like a normal ignition. would that wourk? and I would like to know how I could to away with as much of the wire harnes as possible with out totaly screwing stuf up. If any of you out there knows where I can find info like this pleases help me. I think the stock harness is ugly and too much in the way.

Thank You
Bobber Boy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2009 21:04 #340477 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Total Wireing
The older glass tubed fuses can fail and still look good. If the fuse clips get corrosion,high temperature can anneal(soften) the clips causing more problems like intermittent operation.

I'm considering changing my older style fuse holder to the more modern "Blade" style found in cars and newer bikes.

I have many years experiance working with the smaller gauge wires found in a bike, so if you have questions, just ask.

Some websites for motorcycle electrical connectors and supplies:

www.easternbeaver.com
www.vintageconnections.com
www.electricalconnection.com
www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm
www.terminalsupplyco.com
www.terminaltown.com
www.electerm.com
www.wiringproducts.com
www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=32...&width=1436&height=0
www.repairconnector.com/index.cfm/fa/cat...main/parentcat/22545

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
23 Dec 2009 23:10 - 23 Dec 2009 23:36 #340485 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Total Wireing
I modified my KZ750H3 to use a 4 blade fuse box I got from NAPA. Just wired it the way the glass fuse box was wired. I removed the turn signal control box on the right side (which never worked anyway) and mounted it there. Works fine.

Concerning the wiring harness, go to.....

www.thechopperunderground.com/forum/inde...h&type=post&id=47639

...and you'll find a very simple schematic for a 550 offered by a member named smeghead, but it's basically the same for all the fours. You may have to add turn signals depending on your state laws (and/or your local cops).
Last edit: 23 Dec 2009 23:36 by polkat.

More
24 Dec 2009 17:16 #340581 by bobberboy
Replied by bobberboy on topic Total Wireing
Well, I have to have have turn signals here in Kansas. And that is another question I have. Is there a way I can get rid of all that crap on the bars. I still need a switch for the turn signals. Other than that I dont think need the starter button or power switch box on the throttle side.???
Like I said... I want to get rid of alot of stuff.