no spark...?

More
17 Dec 2009 15:51 #339452 by hammerguy09
no spark...? was created by hammerguy09
hi i have a 78 kz1000 i am not getting a spark to the plugs...not really sure what to do...also clutch wont engage...adjusted clutch and it now seems to be engaging but not all the way...any advice would be great

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2009 17:26 - 17 Dec 2009 17:27 #339474 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic no spark...?
Battery should be charged. Take off points cover if it has points puti screw driver between each set and it should arch and send 10,000 volts up your arm killing you instantly. After that get up shake it off, and crack your neck back and forth. Ok, you with me?:P Shake your head back and forth real fast and jiggle your cheeks, both sets. Still wanna work on it? :woohoo: If it doesn't arch check for 12v at the coil wires under the gas tank. Check fuses, sometimes wires in the kill switch come loose, (hap to me). Coils should be 4ohms and have to be disconnected from the wires to test. Check that stuff out and repost. If you dare.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2009 17:27 by nads.com.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
17 Dec 2009 19:45 #339572 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic no spark...?
Don't forgetr to follow in the footsteps of the smart around here, and purchase the orgional service manual for your bike.

It will save you tons of $$$, and you will love it.
It will become a bible of sorts.

Cheers.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
17 Dec 2009 20:02 #339575 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic no spark...?
On the clutch--
Did you adjust the pusrod, then the mid-cable, then the lever end in that order? Assuming of course that there was plenty of slack to start with.

Get the manual.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• newOld_kz1000
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
17 Dec 2009 22:52 #339607 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic no spark...?
hammerguy09 wrote:

hi i have a 78 kz1000 i am not getting a spark to the plugs...not really sure what to do...also clutch wont engage...adjusted clutch and it now seems to be engaging but not all the way...any advice would be great

I have electronic ignition and it works great but the spark duration, or maybe it was the lighting I don't know, I took out a plug, set it (grounded it) on the cylinder head whilst still plugged in to the spark plug lead, turned on the bike, pushed the starter button MAN it was hard to see spark.

Same thing on all 3 other plugs.

Bike runs fine. I'm wondering if the fact that my eyes don't register the spark is just a function of the fact that my digital electronic (transistor) ignition, unlike points, fires off the spark so danged fast my eyeballs don't catch it.

I have a brand-new battery, bike runs strong too. But the spark don't look nothin like my points-and-condensor equipped '75 Kaw 400 (which also runs fine).

Do you have electronic ignition in it?
And the battery HAS to be good, fill it to the level with distilled water, trickle charge it, make sure it reads 12v or new battery time, they won't spark well at all with a bad battery.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker