help...positive ground...?

More
03 Dec 2009 19:36 #337368 by hammerguy09
help...positive ground...? was created by hammerguy09
hello...ok i have a 78 kz1000 it was striped down and just has the bobber basics. The battery i got with it was shot so i just picked up a new one...tried to connect new battery and it sparked and burnt a wore down to the rectifier. I replaced the rectifier and tried to hook everything back up...initially the positive terminal of the battery was grounded to the engine case. I had never heard of this and thought it was a mistake...thought that might have been what burnt up the wire. When i connected everything again with the new battery and rectifier i put the ground to the negative terminal of the battery....nothing happened when i turned on the ignition. just wanted to know if it is supposed to be positive ground...and if so how that works...or maybe if something else burnt out...regulator...? Please help...thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2009 20:49 #337379 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic help...positive ground...?
Most if not all of the Kawasaki's I've seen/rode have/had Negative(-)Ground. The Positive (+) battery cable usually goes to the starting solenoid on one side and the other side to the starter motor.

When the start button is depressed/pushed,the solenoid energizes completeting the current path so the starter motor rotates starting the engine.

I'd suggest checking the fuses for open/blown fuses and then the wiring for signs of overheating/damage.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Dec 2009 21:27 #337383 by hammerguy09
Replied by hammerguy09 on topic help...positive ground...?
it only has a kick start

More
03 Dec 2009 22:08 #337385 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic help...positive ground...?
I have never seen any vehicle made in japan use a positive ground system. Most of the older British cars were positive ground. I believe that since the brits drive on the wrong side of the road, they have to reverse the battery to keep the electrons from getting confused.:laugh:

I built old Jaguars and MGs and their electrics were a trip. They were designed by Lucas who rightfully earned the name "prince of darkness" for his exploits designing car electrical systems.:laugh:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Dec 2009 22:11 #337386 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic help...positive ground...?
hammerguy09 wrote:

maybe if something else burnt out...regulator...? Please help...thanks

They sometimes have internal fusible links in main power wires that may have fried. God only knows what cooked if the battery was reversed: that's the danger of having a battery that can deliver about 500 Amps..... I would guess the rectifier/regulator could be toast.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Dec 2009 22:30 #337394 by Martynbiker
Replied by Martynbiker on topic help...positive ground...?
hammerguy09 wrote:

The battery i got with it was shot so i just picked up a new one...tried to connect new battery and it sparked and burnt a wore down to the rectifier.

The problem is you have let the magic smoke escape, once the smoke escapes its kaput.:laugh:

seriously, start looking for a short somewhere before you put another battery on. and if polarity has been reversed, the rectifier is toast.

martyn

If you cant fix it with a Hammer....... it's gotta be an Electrical problem...