coil problem?

More
16 Dec 2009 18:22 #339313 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic coil problem?
Backfiring through carb may result from too tight intake valve clearance.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2009 18:27 #339314 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic coil problem?
Patton wrote:

Backfiring through carb may result from too tight intake valve clearance. To increase valve clearance open carb drain untill engine miss is gone. :P

Good Luck! :)

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
16 Dec 2009 18:27 - 16 Dec 2009 18:30 #339315 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic coil problem?

Backfiring through carb may result from too tight intake valve clearance.

Good Luck!

Absolutely... the intake valve is not completely seated before combustion is occuring... check those valve clearances.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 16 Dec 2009 18:30 by TeK9iNe.

More
16 Dec 2009 18:46 #339323 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic coil problem?
dastardize wrote:

hey everyone,

so the bike is a 1979 kz650 B (4 cylinder). it was running perfectly fine until i took it apart :( now it's running very oddly. when it first turns on it runs fine, then it heats up and it still runs alright, then i take it out for a spin and it starts to sputter through the #2 carb (gas starts to come out through the intake side). from a stop it sputters a lot more until it gets to just above 3k or so rpm and then it runs just fine. if i leave it it'll sputter until it turns off. i replaced the points, condensers and spark plugs and after that still didn't fix it the plugs for 2 and 3 are carbon fouled.

does this mean that it's most likely the coil that runs 2 and 3 that could be bad? when i first assembled it that same coil got really really hot, too hot to touch. could it have overheated and gone bad?

thanks in advance for all the help guys, i appreciate it.

Ohm test that coil, I think u may have fried it. Test it cold then hot. I didn't read your post very well, trying to be "mr. fix it" I guess.

More
18 Dec 2009 18:17 #339735 by dastardize
Replied by dastardize on topic coil problem?
alright, i re-checked the float levels. they were good. checked on the valve clearances, all within spec. put it all back together and took it for a ride and she rode better than ever!! i don't really know what fixed it but it's fixed and i couldn't be happier.

so i wanna thank everyone who chimed in and gave me some tips on what to look for. the members on kz always seem to be out to help as much as possible and i really appreciate it. i'll probably still check those coils though because i may have fried one or both of them. thanks again everyone and ride safe!!!!

1979 kz650 hardtail
4 into 1
pods

More
18 Dec 2009 21:27 - 18 Dec 2009 21:39 #339756 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic coil problem?
dastardize,

IMHO and if not already done, you still need to add/replace the high quality inline fuel filter to be sure carb problems don't come back and back and back... don't ask. :blush:

Remember to change this filter every season.

After that you may be out-of-the-woods.

Best of success. :)
Bill

PS
Have you considered the WG Coil Re-powering mod?
It vastly improved my starting, responsiveness and smoothness. IMHO, great value for $10.00 worth of parts, some wires and a little time. See how I did mine here .
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Last edit: 18 Dec 2009 21:39 by bill_wilcox100.