Hooked the Battery Charger up backwards,

More
19 Nov 2009 16:25 #334679 by Jimbo302
what did I toast? Had a friend hook up the charger on the '76 KZ900B and I did not check it before plugging it in.
I burnt a wire or two including a ground. The starter no longer works with the key on but it does work with the key off now. The bike still kick starts and runs with the key on and everything else seems to work normally.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 Nov 2009 16:31 #334682 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Hooked the Battery Charger up backwards,
Did you do the 3 stooges slap on your buddy? :) At least it runs. Does your charging system work? No telling how far up the harness the damage went.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
19 Nov 2009 16:31 #334683 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Hooked the Battery Charger up backwards,
reversed polarity,check fuses B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
19 Nov 2009 16:45 #334692 by Jimbo302
Replied by Jimbo302 on topic Hooked the Battery Charger up backwards,
Kawickrice wrote:

Did you do the 3 stooges slap on your buddy? :) At least it runs. Does your charging system work? No telling how far up the harness the damage went.

I traced it and replaced the overheated ground but one other wire was overheated going into the plug near the battery ( It was popping my fuse that I added between the battery and main power wire) so I cut it and now it seems it doesn't have enough charge to run while off the charger. I assume the ten year old battery is toast. Would a dead cell battery cause it to be unable to rev and run smoothly off the charger?

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
19 Nov 2009 16:50 #334693 by Kawickrice
Jimbo302 wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

I traced it and replaced the overheated ground but one other wire was overheated going into the plug near the battery ( It was popping my fuse that I added between the battery and main power wire) so I cut it and now it seems it doesn't have enough charge to run while off the charger. I assume the ten year old battery is toast. Would a dead cell battery cause it to be unable to rev and run smoothly off the charger?

If it got to the regulator/rectifier and the battery is toast to boot it probably will not run worth a damn if it runs at all.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
19 Nov 2009 17:56 #334710 by Jimbo302
It runs great with the charger hooked up, poorly with it unhooked. Does that tell me what I have burnt up?

Kawickrice wrote:

Jimbo302 wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

If it got to the regulator/rectifier and the battery is toast to boot it probably will not run worth a damn if it runs at all.

• Kawickrice
  • User
More
19 Nov 2009 18:02 #334713 by Kawickrice
Jimbo302 wrote:

It runs great with the charger hooked up, poorly with it unhooked. Does that tell me what I have burnt up?

Kawickrice wrote:

Jimbo302 wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

The first thing to do is get a good battery without that you are wasting your time.
Once you get a good battery you can start to diagnose what got trashed. If your ground wire burnt up you may want to trace it out in case it is melted up stream and involved other wires. Check for shorts and burnt fuses. Let us know how it turns out.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
19 Nov 2009 20:58 #334778 by JR
"I assume the ten year old battery is toast".

Wow. a 10 year old battery. Mine only last 3 or 40 years and I think thats good. Time to get a new one and start again at the beginning.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
19 Nov 2009 21:39 #334783 by Jimbo302
Well the bike sat in a shed for a decade so it's probably a little older than that. Its actually been working decent so far this year, lol.

JR wrote:

"I assume the ten year old battery is toast".

Wow. a 10 year old battery. Mine only last 3 or 40 years and I think thats good. Time to get a new one and start again at the beginning.

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
20 Nov 2009 03:14 #334796 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Hooked the Battery Charger up backwards,
Your battery is probably shot especially after the incident.
Yes, even with a good charging system the bike may run poorly on a dead battery, especially if you have a bad cell. That said, I wouldn't run it until you put an eye on the harness thoroughly. Like was said, if you're running it and a bare spot of melted insulation shorts your close call could get too close real quick.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
20 Nov 2009 05:40 #334812 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Hooked the Battery Charger up backwards,
10 year old battery is a mummy. One of the undead. It's evil get rid of it. Next check to see of you are charging. measure your running voltage at the battery. If not then your reg/rec has also gone to the choir immortal (dead). Inspect that harness. Any burnt spots needs splitting and investigation. No sense replacing things and thinking everything is ok only to have it smoke and burn on ya down the road. It's also a good time to clean the connections. Your poor old bike will love you for it. I would replace the fuses anyway. You could do it right and switch over to blade fuses. Pretty cheap really. There is a tutorial somewhere around here if you search. GLuck! ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
20 Nov 2009 06:13 #334823 by Jimbo302
Thanks for the good info.