Is my starter bad?

More
14 Nov 2009 01:09 - 16 Nov 2009 14:03 #333568 by JonnyC
Is my starter bad? was created by JonnyC
when i kick or push button start it it makes this loud squeaky noise, like if something is like grinding or i don't know. it doesn't do it the whole time, only a few times when kick or button starting it.

i was scared it was the piston but na its the starter motor. any idea?

i can make a video tomorrow so you can hear it.

www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=11238....php?v=1123868470929

1977 KZ650C
Last edit: 16 Nov 2009 14:03 by JonnyC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2009 12:10 #333641 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Is my starter bad?
could be the starter or the starter clutch

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Nov 2009 16:40 #333693 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Is my starter bad?
Starter Solenoid Checkout

Some simple steps to determine what is working and what's not:

1.Fully charge and test the battery(most bike shops can load test the battery, and then use a floating ball hydrometer to check specific gravity in the charged cells).

2.Clean all battery terminals of corrosion.

3.Tighten all starting related connections(Positive RED(+) battery terminal, Negative BLACK(-)terminal) and from the terminal to the engine case. All connections must be clean and tight.

4.Clean the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor.

5.Clean and check the "bullet connectors" going to the coil side of the starter solenoid.

6.Try again to start the bike.

7.If no luck, go to step #8

8.Wearing eye protection, bridge with pliers or a screwdriver the two heavy duty(large)terminals on the solenoid. If the bike cranks, your solenoid may be bad.

9. If the starter won’t turn over, one of several things has happened; The starter motor has seized due to brushes binding up, lack of lubrication in the bushings of the motor, the battery is weak , the engine has seized or it could be a combination of any of the above. Some websites for starter motor rebuild kits are:
A. www.mawonline.com/newsite/rick_s_motorsp...-starter_brushes.htm
B. www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street_star...kits/startmtrkit.htm

10.The dealer may want $$$ for a new solenoid, but take your old one along and visit the nearest riding lawn mower shop. They have solenoids for about $15 that with a little work will fit.

11. I’d recommend upgrading from the existing battery cables to at least 6 gauge welding cables.
They are available in two colors(RED and BLACK) have more flexibility due to being constructed with finer conductors, and will fit in tighter areas.

12. The welding cable is sold by the foot ,so take careful measurements or bring your old cables along. Most battery shops might be able to supply the cable too, so call to find out. The battery shop should be able to crimp/swage on the end of the welding cable the terminal ends or lugs using either a dedicated crimping machine or a tool that looks like a bolt cutter that has special dies to terminate the cable.

1. When preparing to repair the starter over running clutch have a few items on hand:

A. New alternator cover gasket.
B. New springs (3).
C. New spring caps (3).
D. New rollers (3).

2. If possible, put the motorcycle on the center stand and tilt to the right to reduce the oil volume in the alternator cover.

3. Place an oil catch pan under the left side of the engine to collect what small amount of oil that will escape when the alternator cover is removed.

4. Remove the foot shifter lever, left foot peg assembly and the sprocket cover.

5. Some Kawasaki’s have socket head cap screws(Allen type) and others may have fasteners with a Phillips type. If the latter is there, a # 3 bit seems to work the best for removal.

6. Remove the alternator cover and take care with the three wires coming from the alternator stator. These are the voltage supply wires for the motorcycle. Rest the cover on some newspaper or rags to prevent damage.

7. The magnetic Rotor or flywheel will probably require a removal bolt or puller. NOTE, SOME ENGINES HAVE LEFT HAND THREADS ON THE ROTOR!!

8. The over running clutch is bolted to the back of the rotor with three Allen head fasteners.

9. Separate the rotor from the over running clutch and inspect for damage in the springs, rollers, and spring caps. Replace any worn parts.

10. Re-assemble in reverse order taking care when re-installing the Alternator cover not to pinch any wires. If the cover will not re-install without force, check before any damage occurs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
16 Nov 2009 13:13 #334110 by JonnyC
Replied by JonnyC on topic Is my starter bad?
do i even need the starter motor if im doing kickstart. im going to film me kicking the bike over so you can hear that sound the starter makes.

bike just wont start, new ignition coils, new spark plugs. im getting nice spark. not sure the voltage to the coils. fresh gas. so im lost

1977 KZ650C

More
16 Nov 2009 14:04 #334120 by JonnyC
Replied by JonnyC on topic Is my starter bad?
i added a link to the video up top via facebook. my camera stinks so you cant really see anything. but listen to that squeal its the starter

1977 KZ650C

More
19 Nov 2009 15:25 #334661 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Is my starter bad?
jon.. to test voltage to the coils turn bike to on. check voltage at yellow red wires going to each coil. some cant see your video because most of us older farts scuse the term... dont bother with facebook lol...steve

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

More
19 Nov 2009 16:55 #334694 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Is my starter bad?
JonnyC wrote:

do i even need the starter motor if im doing kickstart.

No. But if the starter clutch is dragging, taking the starter out won't fix that. Some of the guys who own 750 twins take the starter and clutch off because they fail a lot and start dragging on the flywheel shaft. One guy said a bad starter clutch actually seized the engine up while he was riding it...:blink:

1979 KZ-750 Twin