Wiredgeorge Repowering Ignition Coils Parts List Q

More
12 Nov 2009 15:14 #333165 by keith1
YUKABODOS wrote:

Not hijacking, figured I ask within this post rather than start another.

Would you not be able to run the power to the inline fuse directly from the positive terminal of the battery, rather than the solenoid terminal?

Is there any difference?

Why the post on the solenoid?

i was wondering the same thing.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2009 16:28 #333177 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Wiredgeorge Repowering Ignition Coils Parts List Q
OMR has covered this in more than a few posts. if your bike does not have full voltage to the coils the problem is in the switches or wiring. it's up to you to source the problem. the WG coil mod is only a band aid. your wiring has resistance issues. dirty/ loose connects or a switch and or poor ground issues. testing with a multimeter will show were the problem lies. yes the it will take some effort/time to find where the cause of the low voltage.

More
12 Nov 2009 16:57 #333190 by PLUMMEN
keith1 wrote:

YUKABODOS wrote:

Not hijacking, figured I ask within this post rather than start another.

Would you not be able to run the power to the inline fuse directly from the positive terminal of the battery, rather than the solenoid terminal?

Is there any difference?

Why the post on the solenoid?

i was wondering the same thing.....

it would work the same but it would be easier to access on solenoid ,and probably look a little cleaner also im thinking B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
12 Nov 2009 17:01 - 13 Nov 2009 07:58 #333191 by keith1
....i did this mod myself recently...raised my voltage from 9.something to close to 12....lot of connections even with the mod, so i expect a small loss on the way to coils....my wiring harness is original and its been hacked into in more than one place for a couple of reasons, plus 30 year old wires
just plain dont carry like new ones do....could i use a new wiring harness? you bet....probably my winter project as i have replaced just about everything mechanical....this is a good band -aid untill then....now we are back to the original question......
Last edit: 13 Nov 2009 07:58 by KZQ.

More
12 Nov 2009 17:28 #333213 by loudhvx
I think kaw used the solenoid connection as a positive terminal instead of running wires directly to the battery in order to reduce the number of wires that had to be dealt with everytime the battery had to be removed/installed for cleaning and water etc.

More
12 Nov 2009 17:34 #333217 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Wiredgeorge Repowering Ignition Coils Parts List Q
keith band aids are just band aids and don't fix the original problem. if you truly want to fix any issue on a vintage bike, car or whatever, you must source the problem. then make the appropriate repair. i do not make hack fixes. hack repairs show a lack of ability. time to move on.

More
12 Nov 2009 17:37 #333220 by keith1
hoghaterkaw wrote:

keith band aids are just band aids and don't fix the original problem. if you truly want to fix any issue on a vintage bike, car or whatever, you must source the problem. then make the appropriate repair. i do not make hack fixes. hack repairs show a lack of ability. time to move on.

or a lack of time....thanks for moving on.....

More
12 Nov 2009 18:10 #333249 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Wiredgeorge Repowering Ignition Coils Parts List Q
Solenoid post will most likely be just fine...

I need to add something here for even though I've stated this numerous times, new members or old for that matter may think I have a thing for George...

On the contrary, have never spoke to George, have never had business dealings with him, have never used his services...

As for his wiring mod... Uhm guys, Yeah everyone calls it that and I'm cool with that but it's not really his... The concept of wiring the coils directly to the battery through a switch/relay has been around quite some time now, like 30 years plus...

So again, for a quick fix or if you chose a permanent fix, your call... All I'm saying is if your going through the trouble of wiring in a relay and running new conductors, why not just fix it correctly where the rest of your electrical system benefits from your extra time spent as well...

As for my reasons, technical only, has nothing to do with George...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
13 Nov 2009 08:13 #333411 by KZQ
Hi Folks,

I've gone through this thread and generally cleaned it up. There's a lot of good info here please keep to the topic. It's OK to disagree on tech stuff but it's not OK to argue and insult each other in the process. I'm moving this thread back to the Tech forum.
Please try to play nice.
KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
13 Nov 2009 18:47 - 13 Nov 2009 18:48 #333529 by oberkfell
I went back and checked the voltage of my battery and to the coils. I have absolutely no drop what so ever.:)

So I guess no Georgey mods just yet.

How could this happen?

The voltmeter was a POS & didn't work right. My Dad unloads his worst tools on me.:laugh:

Anyway, I'm going to install the Dyna S Electronic Ignition this weekend or early next week. Maybe that will solve this rough riding beast.

If that doesn't work.

Back to jacking with the carbs.

1977 KZ1000-A
Last edit: 13 Nov 2009 18:48 by oberkfell.