ignition switch

More
04 Nov 2009 11:00 #331502 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic ignition switch
RonKZ650 wrote:

The other end of the lights is ground, the other end of the horn is switched to ground through the horn button.

Anybody know why they switch the ground lead on the horn? It would be simpler if they ran a 12V line to the horn through the switch and just grounded the horn where it mounts. That would eliminate one wire. Car horns ground at the mount, I can't see the advantage to the extra wire?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2009 11:12 #331788 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic ignition switch
I see no 'live ground' on these bikes, and in all my years in electronics I have never heard that term before. On the schematic for my own bike (KZ750H) the white wire from the 20amp fuse feeds the brown wire (among others) at the ignition switch. From there on, everything the brown wire feeds (horn included) works it's way back the yellow/black wire, which always leads back to battery ground, which also connects to the chassis.

I'd advise to practice caution when using the term live ground if rewiring. At best it could cause blown fuses, and at worse, harness fires!

More
06 Nov 2009 12:45 #331796 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic ignition switch
Right. It's probably best to stick with normal naming conventions so everybody is on the same page.

More
07 Nov 2009 02:48 #331906 by rosken
Replied by rosken on topic ignition switch
on the back of the switch the terminals are marked TL1(x2), TL2, TL3, B, TR, HL & IG what i need to know is what color wires go to what terminal.

More
07 Nov 2009 08:32 - 07 Nov 2009 08:37 #331948 by loudhvx
The filebase here at KZR has 3 diagrams listed under the kz650C3 entry. Here's a partial from one of them. At the bottom it has a chart for color versus terminal label. However, the labels don't seem to match the labels you have. You might not have the original switch, so it may come down to using an ohm-meter to figure out the wiring.

Here's the page with the diagrams:
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...w&gid=126&Itemid=108

Here's the partial diagram:
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Nov 2009 08:37 by loudhvx.

More
07 Nov 2009 08:41 - 07 Nov 2009 08:48 #331950 by loudhvx
What color are the 7 wires in the harness going to the switch?

Since your labels don't match the ones on the factory chart, you should make your own chart with your own labels (TL1(x2), TL2, TL3, B, TR, HL & IG ), (and no color labels yet), and take an ohm meter and find what connections have continuity for each of the three positions (off on park). Then you can rearrange your chart to match the factory chart.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2009 08:48 by loudhvx.

More
07 Nov 2009 09:25 #331954 by rosken
Replied by rosken on topic ignition switch
finaly got it sorted, wired it temperarily and all seems to work, (no blown fuses!) really appreciate all the help with this one, thanks guys.