Turn signal buzzer.

More
30 Oct 2009 23:31 #330599 by polkat
Turn signal buzzer. was created by polkat
As I mentioned in another post here, the turn signal automatic cutoff function on my '82 KZ750 never worked even when new, according to the previous owner. I recently scrapped the switch and put in a conventional SPDP center off type toggle, and chucked the controller. Works fine, but like some here (who may not admit it) I sometimes forget to turn the signals off.

Got the idea to wire in a pizeo buzzer to tell me when the signals are on. Wiring it in shouldn't be too much of a problem, but how to wire it so it isn't buzzing when I'm sitting at a light with the signal on? Anyone done this, and do you have a wiring diagram?

Also, how loud should one be? I've heard that some have used 100db buzzers that can be heard a block away!! I don't want anything near that, but with a full face helmet, and engine and traffic noise, I want to be able to hear it.

Ideas? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2009 08:26 - 31 Oct 2009 08:41 #330638 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Turn signal buzzer.
If you use the turn signal on the highway to change lanes and forget, you'll probably never hear the buzzer. It would have to be super loud.

Why not just use a timer that shuts off the signal after 1 or 2 minutes?

Matbe something like this?
www.amazon.com/Cancelling-Controller-Eme...ontrol/dp/B0010ED3EK
Last edit: 31 Oct 2009 08:41 by loudhvx.

More
31 Oct 2009 12:04 #330665 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Turn signal buzzer.
An interesting idea, but the price is high for what I want. Some pizeo's are quite loud, reaching 100db, which I'm sure can be heard for some distance. I just don't want something too loud!

More
31 Oct 2009 13:52 - 31 Oct 2009 13:59 #330680 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Turn signal buzzer.
polkat wrote:

An interesting idea, but the price is high for what I want. Some pizeo's are quite loud, reaching 100db, which I'm sure can be heard for some distance. I just don't want something too loud!

I just went to radio shack and bought their 12V piezo buzzer. I used double sticky foam tape to mount it on the fork just below the ignition switch assembly. I use a pair of diodes from each turn signal light wire to drive it so it buzzes if either signal flashes. Works great, I can hear it through the helmet at any speed. It's not so loud it would bother you.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 31 Oct 2009 13:59 by bountyhunter.

More
31 Oct 2009 14:23 - 31 Oct 2009 14:24 #330684 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Turn signal buzzer.
I assume that you wired the negative side of the pizeo to ground. If you wire it to the brake switch hot wire (the wire that feeds current to the brake light when the brake is on) it will also act like a ground when the brakes are off. But when you have the brakes on (power to the brake light) the pizeo will loose it's ground and cut off. Since the pizeo is a polar device, the brake light voltage won't hurt it, but if you're worried about that, you can wire another diode toward the brake wire. Just did this and it worked for me!
Last edit: 31 Oct 2009 14:24 by polkat.

More
31 Oct 2009 23:18 #330757 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Turn signal buzzer.
I grounded the neg wire and fed the +12 side of the buzzer from diodes coming from either turn signal bulb.

1979 KZ-750 Twin