Auto turn signal cutoff not working.

More
28 Oct 2009 21:25 - 28 Oct 2009 21:26 #330247 by polkat
Auto turn signal cutoff not working. was created by polkat
This is an '82 KZ750H, which has the auto turn signal controller, which cuts the turn signals off automatically once the bike rolls about 60 meters with the turn signals on. Doesn't work-never has. What is the most common cause of failure? I'm guessing the sensor in the speedo is the problem, but I suppose the controller could be bad as well.

Actually, I always cut the turn signals off myself, so is there any legal reason (I live in CA) that I can't just remove this system?

Related is the turn signal switch itself. It is sloppy, and when turning the signals off it's quite easy to yank it from R to L (or visa versa) overshooting the center position. Is there a spring/detent in the switch that I could change or tighten? Thanks!
Last edit: 28 Oct 2009 21:26 by polkat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2009 08:42 #330312 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Auto turn signal cutoff not working.
Same problem with my 750. I tried to take the left controls apart to fix it, but couldn't break it down enough to help. Sorry this isn't going to help you....just thought you'd like to know you are not alone. :)

More
29 Oct 2009 13:22 - 29 Oct 2009 13:24 #330345 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Auto turn signal cutoff not working.
Think I'm just going to dump the turn signal controller. Turns out that all it does is sense the distance and work a little arm in the switch, so you can pull the unit out and not effect the turn signals working. I thought it was a neat idea as I sometimes forget to turn them off myself. Hummm...maybe I can put a buzzer in the line to let me know they are on (old guy talk!).

I tried everywhere to locate a new turn signal switch, even on Ebay, but it seems that parts from Kawa's 25 years old or older arn't available anymore from the factory. Some shops have them as new/old stock, but at prices I just won't pay. Maybe I can mod in some other switch.

I'll mess around with that switch tonight, and if I discover anything, I'll post it.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2009 13:24 by polkat.