COILS MAKE A POPPING SOUND WHEN IGN SWITCH TURNED

More
28 Oct 2009 20:11 #330237 by arai59
So what was it ? Or is this gonna turn into more drama ? :laugh: Low voltage ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2009 03:29 - 29 Oct 2009 03:33 #330260 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic COILS MAKE A POPPING SOUND WHEN IGN SWITCH TURNED
Keith, in using the Dyna 3 Ohm coils.... I had to use standoffs to clear the frame (ground) and coil conductors...

As TB mentioned, since you received a jolt (lol, sorry brother couldn't resist) your coil is partially shorting to the frame somehow....

In my pictures, you can review the heat shrink tubing (non conductive) around the standoff tubes. This insures the +12Vdc isn't arching to these grounded frame bolts.

Just a thought...

Another thing, possibly a shorted spark plug? :blink:
Not sure that's possible but change them out just in case.

BTW, my CR's fart when turning the key off as well...

Dave

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Oct 2009 03:33 by Old Man Rock.

More
29 Oct 2009 05:28 #330271 by keith1
arai59 wrote:

So what was it ? Or is this gonna turn into more drama ? :laugh: Low voltage ?

i ve got low voltage all right..at coils and at brain stem......lets put it this way..kzcsi woke me out of my stupor.......

More
29 Oct 2009 05:31 #330273 by keith1
Old Man Rock wrote:

Keith, in using the Dyna 3 Ohm coils.... I had to use standoffs to clear the frame (ground) and coil conductors...

As TB mentioned, since you received a jolt (lol, sorry brother couldn't resist) your coil is partially shorting to the frame somehow....

In my pictures, you can review the heat shrink tubing (non conductive) around the standoff tubes. This insures the +12Vdc isn't arching to these grounded frame bolts.

Just a thought...

Another thing, possibly a shorted spark plug? :blink:
Not sure that's possible but change them out just in case.

BTW, my CR's fart when turning the key off as well...

Dave

thanks dave....popping noise my own stupidity, but i still have 9.8 to coils....gonna get the stuff to do the mod after work.....

More
29 Oct 2009 06:49 - 29 Oct 2009 06:50 #330293 by Patton
Imo, body buzzing voltage from frame likely results from high tension leakage, such as from old hard cracked deteriorated spark plug wires.

Could spray water mist over plug wires with engine running in a dark garage, and watch for fireworks.

Once on a ride, I touched the petcock to hit reserve, and got buzzed through a full fingered leather glove. That was the final incentive needed to replace the old original coils (with rock hard permanently built-in plug wires) with green Dyna 3 ohm coils and new Dyna solid core plug wires (from Z1E), which resolved all ignition issues.

Of course, full battery voltage is needed to the coil primaries. I use tie-wraps around the coil mount spacer as insulation between it and the primary screw head.

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image to enhance view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Oct 2009 06:50 by Patton.