PULSE COIL QUESTION

More
23 Oct 2009 14:18 #329168 by waterwalker
PULSE COIL QUESTION was created by waterwalker
ive got a 82 kz750 thats fouling #1 and #4 plugs every time i ride it, and running terrible. ive replaced both coils and all 4 wires. im now going to replace my whole pulse coil deal and was wondering is there anything i need to know? is it just a simple take out-put back in deal, or are they tricks i need to know. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2009 16:15 - 23 Oct 2009 16:17 #329183 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic PULSE COIL QUESTION
Would assure full battery voltage is reaching each coil. And that battery is good, fully charged and properly serviced, with clean snug terminal connections, including the ground where negative cable attaches to the engine.

Would also visibly inspect spark quality with plug removed from cylinder.

Perhaps plug fouling isn't fault of ignition.
If not already done, would perform a compression test and check/adjust valve clearances.

Would also assure correct service floatbowl fuel levels using the clear tube method. Too high fuel level may result in a too rich fuel mixture.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Oct 2009 16:17 by Patton.

More
23 Oct 2009 17:56 #329202 by waterwalker
Replied by waterwalker on topic PULSE COIL QUESTION
battery is new and so are terminals. i checked the good ground when i put in new battery. what i don't understand is why it is only #1 an #4 plugs? i will check spark tomorrow and compression also. how much compression should each cylinder have? all this is kinda new to me, ive always worked and tinkered with old cars, but never bikes until now. thanks

More
23 Oct 2009 18:02 #329204 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic PULSE COIL QUESTION
What plugs are you running? If plugs aren't in the correct heat range for the type of riding you do they can foul, but they won't necessarily all foul. Wanna guess how I know this? ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Oct 2009 19:33 #329226 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic PULSE COIL QUESTION
Here's a checklist I made for my 82 GPz 1100 pulsing(pickup coils) that might help your problem:

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the coils are mounted are located and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multimeter set on OHMS and range of X 100 check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360-540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5.If the pickup coils test good and the IC Igniter is suspect, a rider at www.kzrider.com has made a replacement using off the shelf GM electronic modules at this website: www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Oct 2009 10:12 #329343 by waterwalker
i have 90pd compression on #1-#3 and 89 on number 4. and i checked the spark and i have spark on all 4 plugs. i have a friend who has the same kz750 i have and i wanted to put his impulse coil on my bike to try before i buy one. his bike runs perfect. let me know if the compression sounds right or not. thanks

More
24 Oct 2009 10:45 #329346 by waterwalker
also im running the b8 ngk sparkplugs and the bike has no baffle in the muffler(like that when i got it)

More
24 Oct 2009 15:05 #329374 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic PULSE COIL QUESTION
waterwalker wrote:

i have 90pd compression on #1-#3 and 89 on number 4. and i checked the spark and i have spark on all 4 plugs. i have a friend who has the same kz750 i have and i wanted to put his impulse coil on my bike to try before i buy one. his bike runs perfect. let me know if the compression sounds right or not. thanks

Compression is low, which often results from too tight valve clearances.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Oct 2009 13:57 - 25 Oct 2009 14:00 #329547 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic PULSE COIL QUESTION
waterwalker wrote:

If 90psi is a true reading (throttle wide open, cranking on starter) that is way too low. That will make it run terrible, those cylinders may not even be making power (not much anyway).

Agree check valve clearances. If they are OK, you probably need a valve job.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Oct 2009 14:00 by bountyhunter.

More
25 Oct 2009 17:21 #329601 by waterwalker
i found out today that both my pick up coils are bad. they only read 300-350ohms which is way to low. does anyone know where i can buy these? i tried k1 but they have not got back with me yet. thanks

More
25 Oct 2009 20:04 #329649 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic PULSE COIL QUESTION
If you can't get new/used pickup(pulsing)coils, the next choice will be getting a Dyna "S" for your bike.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)