Strobed timing mark wobble question at low RPM?

• FloridaSteve
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Oct 2009 10:39 #328031 by FloridaSteve
79 KZ650 with points. Now that I've got her running I'm working on some fine tuning. While setting the timing with a strobe at low RPM off the #4 wire (I assume this would be the exact same as the #1?) I get a noticeable wobble back and forth under the strobe. It's big enough to "walk" back and forth between a distance equal to the F and T marks. Should I be looking at my advancer even at low RPM or...???? I admit to being a points noob here as every bike I have has had electronic ignition either stock or installed (as this one will soon) so even obvious stuff is appreciated..

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2009 10:44 #328032 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Strobed timing mark wobble question at low RPM?
what do you have the idle set at. also have you set the points with a dwellmeter or just staticlly with feeler gauges

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• FloridaSteve
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Oct 2009 13:53 #328046 by FloridaSteve
Replied by FloridaSteve on topic Strobed timing mark wobble question at low RPM?
Idle is about 1000 rpm and it's set with a feeler gauge.

More
17 Oct 2009 14:06 #328047 by 650ed
Check to see if is does it on the 2/3 set of points. If the strobe doesn't wobble on the 2/3 set I don't think it could be related to the advancer otherwise it would affect both points sets. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Oct 2009 14:42 - 17 Oct 2009 14:44 #328054 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Strobed timing mark wobble question at low RPM?
The advancers wear so that there is no spring tension at fully closed (idle) position which lets the weights wobble. Just had this problem on my 750 twin. I fixed it with new springs, but I had to make them. If it is the advancer, you can probably wiggle the weights some. They need a little bit of spring tension when fully closed to keep them from wobbling.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 17 Oct 2009 14:44 by bountyhunter.

• FloridaSteve
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Oct 2009 17:16 #328081 by FloridaSteve
Replied by FloridaSteve on topic Strobed timing mark wobble question at low RPM?
Good deal. I'll double check all of that. Thanks Gents.

More
17 Oct 2009 17:23 #328082 by Patton
This thread may be of interest.

Click here > tighten advancer spring

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• FloridaSteve
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Oct 2009 21:14 #328143 by FloridaSteve
Excellent! Thanks Patton. Good to know that the springs can be salvaged if need be.

• FloridaSteve
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Oct 2009 16:49 - 20 Oct 2009 16:50 #328635 by FloridaSteve
I've had time to really go through the ignition without rushing. Advancer looks to be in excellent condition. It's lubed up and moves smoothly. I know you can't really tell just by by looking at them but the springs don't show anyting out of the ordinary.

So after double checking all the connections and point gaps I put the light on it again and I get a noticeable wobble on timing mark on the 1-4 and none at all on the 2-3. The mark is dead solid under the light. Points and condenser are brand new.

Should I be looking at my coils?
Last edit: 20 Oct 2009 16:50 by FloridaSteve.

More
20 Oct 2009 18:39 #328666 by 650ed
Rather than buying coils, you can try swapping them to see if that's the problem (if it is, the wobble will move to the 2/3 points), but I'm betting you see no difference. I have the same wobble on 1/4 and none on 2/3 (2/3 is so steady it looks like a still photo). I have replaced timing advancer unit, condensers, points, coils & wires, spark plug caps, and spark plugs with NOS parts and tried WG coil mod. I also tried swapping everything swappable between the 1/4 side and 2/3 side including the wiring. None of this work changed that wobble at all. The bike runs great, and the wobble dissapears above idle. This winter I plan to take a very close look at the valve adjustments to ensure they are all exactly (or as close as possible) the same. The wobble doesn't actually annoy me because it doesn't appear to affect the running of the engine and it's been there for at least 25 years. However, the detective in me keeps scratching his head wondering what could be the cause. If I ever figure it out I will post the magic answer; if you figure it out first, please tell us the secret. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• FloridaSteve
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Oct 2009 06:21 #328718 by FloridaSteve
Hmmm... Interesting stuff and I appreciate your response. I also have a bit of a detective in me also and I would have gone down all the same paths that you tried. And I probably still will of course because I just can't help myself :unsure: ...

I'm going to install a Dyna S in the next week or so but I don't see how this would stop the wobble (certainly not on only one side).

The bike does actually run pretty well but it still bugs the tar out of me. My bigger issues are more jetting related than ignition. I'd just like to get everything else set as tight as possible before tampering with the carbs in any significant way.

thanks again

More
21 Oct 2009 06:26 #328720 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Strobed timing mark wobble question at low RPM?
Just out of curiosity, with the strobe clamp on #1 plug wire versus #4 plug wire, does it do the same?

Possibly a bad plug wire or spark plug...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az