cant get power to turn signals

More
13 Oct 2009 19:32 #327427 by tenyart
cant get power to turn signals was created by tenyart
so, I've only had my bike for a few weeks, and it came with the turn signals not attached. I tried the other night to figure out the wiring, I have a wiring diagram, and think I found the correct wires, but couldn't get power to either the front or the back. First off, the wiring itself seemed to be a mess, I'm not the most mechanically inclined so I don't know where to really start with cleaning up the wiring and figuring out where I'm losing power. when I turn the signals on, the indicator will light up, and flash very slowly. It didn't at first, but I took the relay off and cleaned the connections and it started working. Again, it's a pretty slow flash about every 2-3 seconds. But from there on...nothing. in the front headlight casing it has the ground wires already fastened. in the rear, it has 1 grnd spliced into 2 ground wires, is that correct? Also, the turn signals themselves seem to be somewhat in rough shape, I guess I just don't know where to start with it. I don't want to go to a dealer, I'll have all winter to work on it myself, but I'll be honest, I don't know what the hell I'm doing! LOL!
any thoughts / advice?

'78 KZ650B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2009 19:37 #327430 by tenyart
Replied by tenyart on topic cant get power to turn signals
Oh...and the same with the horn. it has an aftermarket horn attached, and the OEM horn on there as well...I'm pretty sure I found the correct wires for the horn...but can't get it to work either. probably the best thing for the bike would be to get completely re-wired...but I'd have no idea how to do that.

'78 KZ650B

More
13 Oct 2009 19:55 #327440 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic cant get power to turn signals
Most auto parts stores sell the regular silver can type and the electronic type of turn signal relay(flasher).

I'd replace that first with a known good part.

The front turn signal wiring will be inside the headlight housing, so remove the headlight(two screws)and disconnect the three prong headlight connector as you might be in their a while.

If your wiring for the turn signals is similar to my 82 GPz 1100 B2, the following colors will be used:

The LEFT FRONT turn signal will have three wires:

1. BLACK with YELLOW stripe: the ground circuit.

2. A GREEN wire coming from the main harness connecting to a GRAY wire in the turn signal assembly, this turns off and on the LEFT turn signal indicator light in the dash(speedometer assembly).

3. A BLUE wire Coming from the main harness connecting to a BLUE wire in the turn signal assembly, the running light circuit.

The RIGHT FRONT turn signal again will have three wires:

1. Black with YELLOW stripe: the ground circuit.

2. A GRAY wire coming from the main harness connecting to a GRAY wire in the turn signal assembly, this turns off and on the RIGHT turn signal indicator light in the dash.

3. A BLUE wire coming from the main harness connecting to a BLUE wire in the turn signal assembly,the running light circuit.

If you need new turn signals try here: www.kandstech.com/index.php?page=KawasakiTurnapp

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Oct 2009 20:51 #327450 by marlboro76567
Replied by marlboro76567 on topic cant get power to turn signals
i would check to make sure that the rectifier has not been disconnected. When i got my 76 kz 900 I had to remove a bunch of wire splices (not professionally done) and install my own front turn signals. To do this I ran a Hot wire from the rear turn signal to the front It is not pretty but it is effective. On your horn issue pull the left hand switch assembly and clean all of the contact points and make sure the horn button spring is not flat. Good luck and let me know if this helps
:unsure: :woohoo:

More
14 Oct 2009 06:23 #327470 by tenyart
Thanks guys...I'll try that tonight.
Inside the headlight assembly the 3 wires for the headlight itself have been spliced. and now, when I turn the lights on...it doesn't have any difference in the high beam or low beam, and the high beam indicator light is always on?

'78 KZ650B

More
14 Oct 2009 10:38 #327506 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic cant get power to turn signals
Looks like someone did some creative wiring. You'll have to cut and resplice the high beam indicator curcuit to make it work properly. It should only come on when the high/low beam switch is in the high position.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
14 Oct 2009 11:55 #327512 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic cant get power to turn signals
tenyart wrote:

...it doesn't have any difference in the high beam or low beam, and the high beam indicator light is always on?

Sounds like the PO may have made it so both high and low beam are on at the same time.

1978 Z1-R

More
16 Oct 2009 05:19 #327823 by rob220
Replied by rob220 on topic cant get power to turn signals
its pretty easy to wire those up its only 3 wires.i can help you with that im literally right around the corner.are you getting power to the signal?is the bulb blown.i know sounds dumb but gotta ask.

1975z1 w 80 front end
1075kit
29 mikuni smooth bores
vance comp 4n1 header
stretched 6 inches w/double clubfoot swingarm
suzuki tl1000 rim

More
16 Oct 2009 06:09 #327833 by tenyart
rob220 wrote:

its pretty easy to wire those up its only 3 wires.i can help you with that im literally right around the corner.are you getting power to the signal?is the bulb blown.i know sounds dumb but gotta ask.

I thought about getting a hold of you the other day! shoot me an email (tyler.enyart@gmail.com) and maybe we can get together some evening next week and take a look at it. I know there is power getting to the relay, I can hear the relay "clicking", I'm assuming it's working...I may buy a new relay just to switch it out for the heck of it. I just bought a multimeter to check power to wires. May test it out this weekend if I get time.

T

'78 KZ650B

More
16 Oct 2009 11:33 #327867 by rob220
Replied by rob220 on topic cant get power to turn signals
if you are getting power to the indicator then that is a good start if nothing else you can run new wires from there.the third wire is for the light to constantly stay on(optional)i dont like that but all is needed is a constant key on power source.im pretty sure it shouldnt take much to get that headlight back right.i dont know if you know or not but we have 2 cycle recycles in the city not great but helpful.i sent my contact info so anytime i can help no prob.

1975z1 w 80 front end
1075kit
29 mikuni smooth bores
vance comp 4n1 header
stretched 6 inches w/double clubfoot swingarm
suzuki tl1000 rim