Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No Spark..Think I checked everything 19 Mar 2006 16:46 #32616

• ws6firehwak
  • ws6firehwak's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Guys, I love the site..Well i have an 81 kz 650 crs with 9,000 KM's in my garage that was given to me about 8 years ago, (I was 15 at the time) but never dicided to ride it, my dad rode it a couple times about two years ago so i know it did run.. Well now I really wanna ride this bike but i can't get it sarted. I replaced the battery, and the coils and have no spark, so then i got a used ic igniter off ebay, put it in and still no spark, I did all the test in the clymers book, and they all checked out fine....i was pretty sure it was the ic igniter because the ohms didn't match what it said in the book, so i got the one off ebay (used), and i couldn't get any readings from it...but asumed it was fine..and maybe my meter was wrong? is there any other way to test the ic igniter? and also i've notice a lot of you got the dyna s ignition.. if i installed it would i still need my ic igniter??
i'm really glad i stumbled across this site, because now i feel like I have hope at getting this bike started... thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Spark..Think I checked everything 19 Mar 2006 19:13 #32665

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Can you put it back to the condition it was in before you started working on it?

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2006/03/19 22:13
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

No Spark..Think I checked everything 19 Mar 2006 19:20 #32668

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The IC ignitors do go bad, but rarely.

If you get the Dyna, you no longer need the IC ignitor or the stock pickups and rotor, but don't throw them away. Those parts will get scarce and will be worth something.

I like the stock electronic ignition better than the Dyna. The Dyna is real good, but in my opinion, the stock one is a little better.

No Spark..Think I checked everything 20 Mar 2006 15:59 #32896

• ws6firehwak
  • ws6firehwak's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ya i still have the other parts...if thats what you mean

No Spark..Think I checked everything 21 Mar 2006 07:00 #33045

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
ws... Welcome. FIRST... Murphy's law rules when buying parts from eBay. There is often a REASON why folks are selling electrical bits... you might want to see if they appear to be parting out a whole bike or just selling their old igniter! bwhahahahaha

I have bought toooooo many junk electrical parts off eBay and have become a bit jaded I guess... I doubt your multimeter stopped working when you made the eBay purchase.

I don't know much about your model but if your bike turns over and you get no spark, first thing I would check is voltage at the coils. Each of your coils has two smaller wires connected. One is the wire from the IC Igniter that carries a "signal" and the other is the wire from the IC Igniter that carries voltage. If you turn the key on and check for DC voltage at the coil, you should get about 12.4 VDC. I am not sure of your wire colors but you could just put the NEG probe from the multimeter on the frame and the POS, red probe on each of the lugs. If you don't see voltage on either lug carrying the wires from the igniter, this is your problem. You have a break in the electrical path and I can help you troubleshoot this...

OK, if you do have voltage at the coils, you have either faulty pickup coils, faulty igniter or faulty ignition coils. Check for spark on both the #3 plug and the #4 plug. This will tell you if you have spark from EITHER coil. If there is spark from one but not the other, I would check the coils and primary leads (plug wires/caps). If I had no spark on EITHER #3 or #4, then I would look at the igniter. If you find spark on one side, let me know and I will tell you how to check the coils. They do short with age and plug wires DO go bad.

Based on your troubleshooting thus far, if you do suspect a problem in either the igniter or pickup coil, it is more likely the igniter if you have spark on neither coil. The pickup coils tend to go bad individually where one will work and one won't.

If you suspect the multimeter, check the values suggested by your manual. If they don't jive, check the old igniter and repeat the tests. If you seem to have purchased a defective igniter from eBay, then you MIGHT want to think about a Dyna S. They are very inexpensive now (compared to what they used to be). You might also want to pick up an older style mechanical advance with timing marks already in place for the 2/3 cylinders. That can be had from eBay and I would look at www.z1enterprises.com for a great price on the Dyna S.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: