750-four Regulator test?

More
05 Oct 2009 21:52 #325767 by polkat
750-four Regulator test? was created by polkat
One regulator test on the 750 fours is to hook your meter between the + and - terminals on the batt, then read voltages at different rpm's. Another test for the regulator/rectifier in the books is just a continuity test for the rectifier side only of the unit.

But what kind of ohms readings should I see between the wht/red, brn, and blk wires from the regulator side?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2009 17:47 #325887 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 750-four Regulator test?
I took a look at the Haynes manual for my 1980 750/4 and this is what it says for testing the rectifier part.

Set the multimeter on the ohm x 10 or ohm x 100 scale and measure the resistance between the red/white lead and each of the three yellow leads. Note the readings and then reverse the meter probes and repeat. Once these six tests have been completed, repeat the sequence using the black lead in the connector in place of the red/white lead, another six tests. In each test a very high resistance should be shown in one direction with a very low reading if the meter probes are reversed. The actual resistance figures are not important but a large difference between the two readings indicates that that particular diode is functioning normally. If with any pair of leads a similar reading is shown in both directions a diode has failed and the unit must be renewed.

Hope it's of use to you. I'm not great with electrical.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
06 Oct 2009 18:29 #325898 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic 750-four Regulator test?
Thanks! But as mentioned, I'vce done the test for resistance of the rectifier and it is good. I wanted to test the regulator side alone, but I have already determined that it is bad. If you hear of someone selling one (at a decent price (not the $100 robbery that many are selling used ones for), let me know.

More
07 Oct 2009 17:41 #326069 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 750-four Regulator test?
Doh !
Sorry, I misread your post.

There are a number of units on ebay at the moment. Prices all over the map and descriptions are not not great so often hard to tell if off a twin or 4 cylinder.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust